Pacing!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 24, 2018

No, I have never heard of it.

2. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 1, 2018

Is it normal to feel like you are always behind in the curriculum? I am FINALLY finishing my unit on decimals on Thursday which took a month even though it was supposed to take 12 days. I lost 2 days to behavior in one of my classes. I now have only 9 days to teach fraction division with models, word problems, etc. which is crazy!! My mentor is in the same place as me and I'm hoping I can speed up my pace (I lost a few days to not planning too well/not knowing where the kids are coming from) and to behavior which I do not want to allow to happen again.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2018

A month vs. 12 days is rather significant and unusual (and the losing two days to behavior is worrisome). That said, a good teacher will be flexible and adjust to his/her students' needs, which often requires slowing down or speeding up with the pacing. Taking a day or two extra here and there if needed is fine.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 1, 2018

^
    Last week, we did lose one day to behavior (it was a 1/2 day and the kids could not focus on the lesson) and we lost a day (or maybe 1/2 a day) to behavior on Friday in one class (tried to do stations and failed unfortunately). This is mainly for the class I have been posting about and it is frustrating.

My mentor is also on target with my pacing. I definitely spent way too long on multiplying decimals because I had no idea so many kids wouldn't even know the standard algorithm! So I had to backtrack which wasted time. I am thinking that the pacing guide did not account for the fact that most kids are coming in not even knowing the standard algorithm. So we had to do a day on comparing strategies, several days just teaching the standard algorithm, expressing the remainder as a decimal, decimals in the dividend and finally decimals in the divisor. It is a lot and it seems like there isn't a ton of time. I'm hoping to make my fraction division unit quick because it needs to be. But we have to do manipulatives, models and equivalent fractions. It's a lot!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Oct 1, 2018

NO!!! :( :( Operations with fractions are SO MUCH more important than all that decimal stuff. For next year, PLEASE short change the decimals in favor of fractions. When they get to higher math, no one cares if they can multiply and divide decimals by hand, but if they can't work with fractions, they're screwed! When I get kids who want to do EVERYTHING in decimals and it takes a tenth of the time to just work with the fractions, it makes me sad.

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 1, 2018

I agree -- I wish I flipped it. This entire unit has been painful to teach but all of these topics are in the standards. It's just that I couldn't move on when I had half my class who can't multiply and then I had to teach the standard algorithm for division in 6th grade which is ridiculous in itself and took forever. I will be spending a lot of time on ratios this year. My math coach encouraged me to spend more time on multiplying and now I am rushed!

I'm also frustrated that these standardized assessments are so HARD. I looked at last year's test and the division question was a five digit number divided by a two digit number. Seriously?? I don't get why they always have to assess at such a high level. Maybe it's just that I teach a lower group of kids but it's frustrating. I'm just thrilled that most of my kids can finally use the standard algorithm for smaller #'s.

My mentor also said she wants to teach fractions in 9 days.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:30 PM

So I am still trying to figure out pacing and I feel behind compared to the pacing guide!

My kids are taking a district assessment next Wednesday and Thursday. I want to wrap up my fraction division unit by Friday. I am hoping that I will be able to because my next unit (ratios) will take forever. My mentor said she is moving on to ratios asap as well. My issue is that the students have to take a fraction division test! I was thinking that they could take the fraction division test on Friday but that would mean that they are testing 3 days in a row & they might not be ready. My math coach wants me to do more with models and spend more time but I trust my mentor when she says that ratios will take forever!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 6:36 PM
  8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:09 PM

There's nothing saying (well, unless there is for you - ha) that you can't wait and give the test slightly after you start working on ratios. Why not start on Friday, and then take the fraction division test next week? That'll also give you time to do any reteaching before the test for those kiddos who might still have a bit of trouble.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:46 PM

I think it might be a little bit confusing for the kids...I'm not sure. I honestly have no problem giving the test on Friday if they are ready. I will review for about 25 minutes anyways so it's not like the whole period is the test. I also wonder if the district test will take all period...

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:54 PM

Does the district assessment contain problems on fraction division? If xo (and if there are enough, could a sub-score from those problems also be used as your "fraction division" test?

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:08 PM

Yes...but the test is hard. Mine will be easier & will assess different things. In my opinion, there's not a lot you can get from a multiple choice test. I want to see that they can draw the model, use the rule for fraction division, and solve word problems.

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:35 PM

I also realized that we are supposed to teach all of this stuff before state testing but I know I will be able to teach the whole curriculum even if after testing. Last year, my mentor didn't get to one unit and taught it afterwards. But she also teaches inclusion while I do not. However, I do feel like with larger classes pacing is unfortunately slower and she has two teachers in the room.