P strongly suggested I look for a new job

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Mar 19, 2017

Last Thursday, the P and I talked about the eventual leave of another teacher and how it affected her students. He then mentioned how he appreciated the hard work I do and how I arrive early despite the long travel. He also said with looming budget cuts and my being a non-tenured teacher, he will be making tough choices and my job could be in jeopardy.

Right now, I don't feel any pressure. I feel like everything will work out. Anyone else get an "early warning" from admin and not feel terrible about it?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

Mar 19, 2017

Early warnings are an attempt to make sure the employee doesn't feel that actions like non-renewed contracts don't seem to come as a complete surprise. You are not obligated to feel worried, but it might be prudent to go into job search mode sooner rather than later. Given the head's up, you may want to ask your principal if he would be willing to write you a strong letter of recommendation. If the answer is yes, I would also ask my mentor teacher and department chair to do the same. I see no problem in saying it is always nice to be prepared.

anon55, Caesar753, mathmagic and 2 others like this.
  4. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2017

I also would advise you to tune up your resume. Based on what you said, it seems likely you will be non-renewed.

Caesar753 likes this.
  5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Mar 19, 2017

During our conversation, I asked him for a letter of rec and he said he would. He also said I was free to use his name as a reference and he work with me to help me find a new position. I then asked if it would be advisable to resign now instead of getting a pink slip. He said, if that situation comes up, he would let me know and then I would given the option to resign.

This week, I will ask other teachers if they would be willing to write me letters of rec.

6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Mar 19, 2017

I tuned up my resume in January and have basically started looking at that time. Once my Praxis scores become official, I can add more credentials.

7. Committed2DaProfession

Committed2DaProfession Rookie

Mar 19, 2017

Yeah, my school is "IR"(Improvement Required) this year so a good percentage of the faculty is pretty edgy. My principal told me that he's "fighting to keep (me) here", so that's a clear indication that the future is very uncertain. As a result, I have begun applying to other schools in the district and have registered for several job fairs. Whatever you do, be proactive.

8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Mar 19, 2017

Here's what concerns me. Since I'm non-tenured, they don't have to give reasons for a non-renewal. He said that I work hard, show up early, and am dedicated. That I fit in with the school and faculty. He has only observed me once and I did receive feedback both good and where improvements can be made. It's hard to figure out why exactly I could be let go. Last year's reason was easy. 3rd year, tenure or no tenure... non-renew. This year?? Could he be saying budget cuts (which are likely to happen) along with eventual reduced enrollment to not say stuff like "Your teaching was ineffective."??

9. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Rookie

Mar 19, 2017

I'm kinda in a similar situation, except that I'm currently in a temporary contract so no explanation is necessary if they can me, and they didn't have to inform me of my status by March 15th because I started this job at the end of December.

It's nerve wracking not knowing if I'm going to be rehired next year. I spoke with my P, who said that any displaced teachers would have priority over me, but it's a fairly specialized position, so hopefully no one will be qualified (or want to have 4 preps!) I asked if I should be applying elsewhere and he said it wouldn't be a bad idea to get my resume and whatnot in order, though he did say he wants to try to get me back at my current school next year. When I asked him when I might expect to know more he said some time in April. So now I'm waiting (and worrying.)

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Mar 20, 2017

I would start looking. Even if the P likes you he will have a hard time keeping you if there are other factors like budget. It seems like you could get a good reference from him though and maybe even find a closer to home job. Good luck!

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 20, 2017

If you're being told your job may be on the line due to a reduction in force (RIF) and not due to your performance, I'd say ride it out and don't resign. There is no shame in being laid off.

Linguist92021 and Caesar753 like this.
  12. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Mar 20, 2017

Yes, and since he told me he would write a letter of rec and that I can use his name as a reference, I already submitted his information into the online jobs app. He's already answered it and I can use him now as a contact person.

13. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Mar 20, 2017

I feel that you would be remiss not to start looking for other employment.

I would start looking for jobs when they start getting posted in your state, but before then, talk to your principal and casually say "I've been thinking about our talk, and I think I'll do a little looking into this. I really would love to stay here, and hope that things favor me staying, but in the event that budget cuts mean you need to cut my position, would it be alright if I use you as a reference?"

Most principals would look at this favorably, as you're communicating that you're not applying elsewhere because you don't like it there, but you're applying to ensure you have a job. In today's age, it is not a smart move to be cavalier about your position if you're not tenured. If you've been given any indication your position isn't secure, please do the work and find other options.

14. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Mar 20, 2017

The P strongly urged me to look for another job. He knows the numbers aren't favorable to maintaining teacher units so I'm thankful he gave me the heads-up. He even volunteered that I could use his name and that he would help me find a new position.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  15. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Mar 20, 2017

Start applying.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Mar 20, 2017

I believe that things happen for a reason. You have said that you wanted to find a job closer to home and now your P is giving you the go-ahead to do just that. Good luck with the search!

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Mar 20, 2017

He didn't have to give you a heads up, so I'd take advantage of the early notice and start applying for jobs ASAP.

18. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Mar 20, 2017

I started looking in January when the commute and classes started to really get on my nerves. Now, I'll be more adamant about searching!

MsAbeja and Caesar753 like this.
  19. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Mar 20, 2017

Better to be proactive and not need a new job, than be caught flat footed and need a job. Also, maybe you get a better offer elsewhere, even if they wanna keep you?

20. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Mar 21, 2017

Had another talk with the P yesterday. He said that he would understand if I were re-hired and look for a job over the summer and ultimately accept it. He also said he wouldn't be surprised if I got re-hired, started the year, and then found a new job and left mid-year. He said that I can't control the timing of when jobs open up. At this time, I'm treating this as not being re-hired and will really focus on my job search. I'm even considering removing some of my personal stuff.

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

Mar 22, 2017

Whatever else you do, make sure your personal stuff, and I mean all of it, goes out the door with you your last day of school. It can start to slowly come home during that last month or so. If any kids ask, simply tell them that your room has to be uncluttered over the summer for routine maintenance. If you leave it, even if you were coming back, it will have a tendency to grow legs and walk away on its own.

Caesar753 likes this.