P called me to inform of a possible math opening

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Jan 4, 2017

I got a call from an unknown number on my cell. It was a P who left a message saying there is a possible math opening and my name was in their application files. Of course; I'm going to call back.

Question is how promising is this that I received a call from a P about a possible position?

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Comrade

Jan 4, 2017

Well, it's certainly a nice feeling to get a cold call like that. I've gotten a few over the years. If you are currently under contract, I would be very careful in how you proceed. I know your commute is wearing on you, but most public schools aren't going to pursue a candidate currently under contract, and they will also have a negative impression of someone under contract who suggests they would consider breaking that contract.

If the opening is for next year, definitely figure out if it's a job you'd be interested in. Good luck.

4. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Jan 4, 2017

This is a school which saw increased K-6 enrollment due to a nearby district implementing tuition. So, I figure the possible position is for the next year.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Jan 4, 2017

In my state, all I need is to give 5-day notice for a resignation.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 4, 2017

What's the harm in looking into things? Hoping for the best for you, as always!

7. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Jan 4, 2017

Since a resignation is easy in your state, go ahead and pursue this possible new job. Can't hurt!

8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Jan 4, 2017

Called back. The P said a half-time position could possibly be opening up. He said he remembered when I dropped off my resume at his school and that he would call me if anything opens up. I thanked him for calling me but said I wasn't interested in the position. Most likely, he assumed I didn't have a full time position or was still looking.

Still felt good to be called!

mathmagic likes this.
  9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 4, 2017

Good call. Who knows what might happen in the future?