Outsourcing school jobs

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Jul 24, 2012.

1. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 25, 2012

in our school - we outsourced the custodial positions a couple of years ago. we were very against it as a staff because we were loyal to our custodians, but I have to honestly say that they new service cleans my room better than it has ever been cleaned. so, that is the good part, for us.

2. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 25, 2012

Our district has outsourced some of its custodial positions with very mixed results. There have been a few good workers, a few more who didn't show regularly, and a few who didn't follow our regulations. The big negative is that you don't know who you are hiring - that is totally up to the agency.

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 25, 2012

My district outsources custodians. It is hard to get to know them because they change every few months.

OP, will the people who are currently in these positions lose their job, or will they start the outsourcing to fill only new openings? I don't think it's fair for those already employed to lose their positions for a cheaper temp. I understand districts have to do something for budget cuts, but (in my area anyway) classified staff such as secretaries, don't earn that much, even after 15 plus years. The secretary is probably the most important person keeping the school running---it's not worth the headache to get a brand-new one to start at the bottom of the pay scale!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2012

I couldn't imagine going to work and not seeing the same secretary's face each year. She makes the school! And the same goes for the custodians.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 25, 2012

You'd be surprised at how many workers in a school get around this...

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2012

A district close to me just nonrenewed the custodial company and are going to hire their own custodians.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 25, 2012

There are 3 schools in my district that uses an outside agency for assistants. I believe the school district pays their salary and the agency covers their benefits. My school is one of the schools that uses this outside agency. They come with their own supervisors that are supposed to be working under our principal but "don't". Some of their assistants are unqualified and 'unteachable'. Some of them cross the personal relationship boundaries with the students and b/c a lot of them worked in group homes they have difficulty discerning between appropriate interactions in a group home vs. a school. I've had students arrive to my guided reading group on the shoulders of assistants:(. My principal could suggest an assistant be removed but he does not have final say.

I can tell you we (the teachers) were all hoping that the agency wouldn't renew their contract with the district last year, but they did...