Other teachers overstepping?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MissB123, May 2, 2018.

1. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

May 2, 2018

have you ever had to deal with other teachers that overstep?

I teach PreK special education and seem to be having difficulty with some teachers. For instance, speech teacher asking me how a certain student is doing, and asking me what im doing about it. She also never comes to take my kids for speech, but has the nerve to tell my principal i use too much smartboard and technology. It just seems unfair to approach me and tell me that you are going to complain about me for using Tech!
    Has anyone ever had a similar situation? How did you handle it/ what was the outcome?

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 2, 2018

I find it very irritating when other teachers try to tell me how to do my job.

What I try to do is follow procedures....

Ask them not to interfere...
    “I got this, thank you Ms. Pain.”
    “Thanks, I might try that, now excuse me.”

Repeat...
    But now document...

Go to director on 3rd offense.
    Sandwich approach

“Ms. Pain is always making helpful suggestions. But sometimes, I feel she is disrupting my lessons and contradicting me. I have considered some of her suggestions, but, asked her not to interfere with my students. On 5/1 she____ and 5/2 she also ___.”

What would you suggest? I appreciate opportunities to work with others, but this is not supportive.”

Hard and truthful answer? Director or P will call a meeting with both if you. Ms. Pain will lie like a rug, and you will be asked to go back and play nicely with her.

If she has seniority or she’s director’s buddy, forget about it.o_O

If it really gets on your nerves and you aren’t getting anywhere, get union steward on board. Last step, go over director/P. If not listen to her garbage, and then keep doing what you do.

As long as director, or P doesn’t have issues with your teaching or you using technology, don’t worry. If she thinks it’s a problem, she’ll tell you.

4. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

May 3, 2018

If avoiding smartboards is on the IEP, then I'd recommend following the IEP. If not, then I'm confused, wondering what the speech teacher's problem is. A smartboard is just a more convenient blackboard/visual aide. I could (somewhat) see her point if the technology is being used for auditory language experience, especially computer simulated speech, but on the other hand, that kind of exposure is important, too. The child surely needs much exposure to actual unaltered human voice, but the child also needs brain connections to differentiate and assimilate electronic and mechanically altered voices since that is a major part of modern society; non-human voices are encountered and require processing and interaction during an entire day almost anywhere a person goes. All day, we're exposed to radio, loud speakers, computerized telephone calls, speech enabled computer devices, TV, you name it, it's there, yet this is a different, perhaps slightly different, but different type of voice than the humanly produced voice; the brain processes the vibrations that stimulate the nervous system in our ears. For a student with speech differences, what s/he hears and processes assists in reproducing sounds.

For a quick example, when you are sitting at an orchestral concert, you don't hear the actual sounds produced by the orchestra. The environment, such as an auditorium, adjusts the music, and the musical sounds that enter your ear also include overtones from the acoustical instruments. Your brain also adjusts for the Doppler effect. A rock concert, however, is a different story altogether. The same environmental/brain processes occur, but the microphones, electric guitars, and synthesizers diminish much of the overtones and alter the voices somewhat.

Back to my original point, I'd see nothing wrong with altered speech from technology as long as the emphasis is still on actual human speech from a live person. I'd see nothing wrong with smart board and technological visual/auditory aides, with the exception of a Teletubbie type of emphasis. Here, I personally would side with Montessori in that children this age need realistic exposure; I wouldn't go as far as to eliminate imaginary stories or settings, because that's part of modern learning, also, the educationally fun task of differentiating fantasy from reality. That's why fantasy is fun (for any age); it surprises us from what we've learn to expect from reality. But this too can be overemphasized, and the task of any preschool child is learning to negotiate reality.

5. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

May 3, 2018

If your speech therapist is not following the IEP and not fulfilling her minutes with students, that's a big issue. However, they don't always have to remove students from the classroom to work on goals...is she working 1:1 or in small groups within your classroom? That's what ours does, unless it's super crazy and they need to go to a quieter area.

Backroads likes this.
  6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

May 4, 2018

How to deal with conflict with a colleague 101:
    [​IMG]

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

May 4, 2018

I don't see how avoiding Smartboards could ever be a reasonable thing to write in an IEP given that it may adversely affect the learning of the other students in the class.

Obadiah likes this.
  8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 4, 2018

Six more weeks......

otterpop likes this.
  9. a2z

a2z Maven

May 4, 2018

If No Smartboards is part of the IEP and the smartboard is a necessity in the classroom then the LRE is not the general education classroom for the student. It is that simple. So the question is, what information must be taught via smartboard.