Organizing School Halloween Parade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by RMM, Sep 23, 2007.

1. RMM

RMM Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

It's my first year teaching and somehow I wound up in charge of organizing the school's Halloween Parade! I thought it would be easy - just take the previous year's plan and spruce it up. Then, I found out this is the first year the school will do a parade, so there is no format to copy! If anyone has ever organized something like this before, please let me know! I need some quick help getting started! Thanks in advance!

-RMM

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2007

I can't give you any ideas. I just wanted to wish you luck in this. It's hard being a first year teacher and then have something like this dumped on your lap.

4. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Sep 24, 2007

A Halloween parade shouldn't be too hard. On Halloween we have a shortened school day. The kids leave at 12:30 (or stay in the all purpose room if they can't go home) and then come back at 1:25 with their costumes on. At 1:30 we start our parade and basically we just march around the school in a long line starting with kindergarten and going all the way up to eighth grade (my school is K-8). The first person in each class holds a sign to show the teacher's name. The parents all stand around outside to watch the parade. If you have it outside though just make sure you have a backup plan in case it rains. After our parade we go back to our classrooms and our class moms put together a small party for each class. Good luck!

5. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 24, 2007

Ours is kind of fun. After everyone is ready we sit in a huge circle inside or outside. Just like the above poster, each class takes a turn, but we play fun songs like "Monster Mash". At the end they call in categories....funny, scary, spooky, etc. That way every kid gets to do something more than once. The teachers always dress in a theme and do something silly at the end together.

6. azteacher3

azteacher3 Companion

Sep 24, 2007

Our school is K-5. The K-2 students are the parade and the 3-5 students are the audience. We start over in the Kinder building and then make our way over to the 1-2 building, adding each class as we go past them. Then we go outside and march around the portables where the 3-5 grades are. The older kids stand outside and wave to us. The one rule we do enforce is that there can't be any scarry or bloody costumes. One year an older kid had on a scream mask and it freaked some of our poor Kinders out.

7. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Sep 24, 2007

our whole school does ours. at 1:15 is when it starts. we all exit our rooms to the right and follow all of the hallways in the same order. it usually ends around 2. seems like a long time, but it's a lot of fun.

i'm hoping to get my costume in order too! i'm going to be a jack in the box! :)

LC

8. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 26, 2007

Our Halloween parade just involves our Kindergarten classes, but we do a whole school parade at Christmas. The school has done it for over 75 years. We begin with the K classes and as one goes thru the next class, that class gets on the back of the line and continues to the next class, who gets on the back of the line and we do this until the entire school is in a huge line and when all the classes are hooked on, the leading class goes back to their room and sits down and watches as all the classes pass thru. Each class drops off in their class (it's just the opposite order) and it is very efficient this way. I don't know if my explanation makes sense, but we call it the Christmas Chain and it works very well. Our school is large and it just tickles me to look at the far end of the school and see part of the chain just beginning when we have already finished.