Organizing a Teacher's Desk

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Obadiah, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Cohort

Apr 21, 2017

I thought this might be helpful information for new teachers. Every classroom I've taught in had a standard teacher's desk with several drawers, but these tips might be adaptable to other more modern storage situations, too. My top right hand drawer was my storage for small loose objects that I'd use every day at my desk such as pencils, pens, a whistle, protractor, compass, scissors, etc. (emphasis on the etc.). If I just let them sit loosely in the drawer they would slide around every time I opened and closed it. To avoid this problem I would masking-tape a homemade organizer to the bottom of the drawer. The organizer was always one or two preformed hard plastic trays salvaged from the packing of something I had bought. Ideal is a tray with various indentations of different shapes and sizes that tend to conform to specific tools in the desk. It's catch-as-catch-can, but I've always been able to find trays that worked. My left hand drawer was usually deeper than the others, so I'd use it as an extra file. A hanging file holder works best and cheap ones can be found in department or dollar stores, but sometimes a recycled structure that just fits hanging files can be found that is just as adequate. My middle drawer was for important stuff and stuff that was easily breakable (since it was the sturdiest in sliding out due to its width. The other drawers were miscellaneous drawers. The top of my desk (I learned over time) was sacred! That was my working space and it was kept as clutter free and as comfortable to write on as possible. Even when I received my first computer (prior to lap tops) I set the screen on one side and the keyboard on the other, not in the middle in my sacred space. I'm right handed but I learned to mouseclick with my left hand. I'd buy a flat desk calendar for the middle of my desk; Dollar Tree now sells these. This was my sacred note writing space, very important for an absent minded teacher as myself. I also used a secret code for jotting down notes that I didn't want students to read; some teachers, such as myself, use Braille letters and written numbers--the idea is something that's easy for you to remember and quick to jot down. If you teach in a church based school or a classroom that has other functions after school hours, it is (unfortunately) especially important to password your computer; a trick to passwording is to use the first letter of each word of a song that you are familiar with but others might not be. I liked having trays setting on the end of my desk so that I could sort papers into them while still seated; another option is to have a cardboard shoe storage on the floor near your desk for sorting papers; but make sure the cardboard isn't wobbly and the holes are wide or tall enough to fit a folder-sized object inside. I hope this information makes your transition into an exciting new field a bit easier; and welcome to in my opinion one of the best possible careers in the world.

pdv likes this.
  3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2017

You use an app for organizing your pencils and paper clips?

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 21, 2017

Dang, I want that app then! And to stack my papers, hide the computer cords, organize my post-it notes that I need visible... the list goes on and on...

Caesar753 likes this.
  5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2017

Right?!

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 21, 2017

I wonder if the app works on student desks and lockers?! Talk about a money maker!!

Caesar753 likes this.
  7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Apr 21, 2017

I have a calendar and pencil cup on the table I use for a desk. I bought one of those tool boxes that popped up on Pinterest a couple of years ago and have that on a counter behind my "desk" so things are in easy reach.

I use the top drawer of a filing cabinet for those papers that I need to keep. The first hanging file is for the papers I need to take care of that day.