Organizing a Classroom Library- limited shelving- help?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Jan 20, 2013.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2013

I am trying to transition into my new position in 2nd grade. I really need help organizing my library. At my school, no one has an organized library. So I need help!
    However, I have very limited space! Organizing by specific themes is out. I'm thinking about organizing by level.

How is your library organized??

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 20, 2013

Can you get milk crates turned sideways to make shelves? This is what I did at my old school when I didn't have enough space.

FYI - Fountas & Pinnell said leveled libraries (in a sense where there's a "C" basket or "J" basket) are out! Genre/Topic baskets with various levels inside each basket are in! (Like "Fantasy," "Historical Fiction," "Sports," etc.)

In case you want to keep up with the Joneses. :lol:

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2013

My fiction library is by level, in baskets. Nonfiction is organized by theme. A few genre baskets ;poetry, historical
    Fiction) and a few author baskets.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 20, 2013

I organize my library by genre and very general theme categories. I agree with leveled libraries being out. In the public and school libraries, students have to rely on various strategies (such as the five finger rule) to determine if a book is appropriate for them. In my opinion, they should be given the opportunity to practice this skill and peruse books of all levels in the classroom, too.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 20, 2013

Check out Pinterest. There are lots of creative people out there.

I saw a leveled library in ice trays. I used containers similar to milk crates and my library is on the floor below my whiteboard.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2013

I would have no where to put them. I am in an old building and radiators dominate 1 wall, the white board and ActivBoard another, closets and computers another, and low cabinets on the last. The only open wall space is where my bookshelf already is. If I stack up, they can't reach it.

(I hate radiators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2013

I would LOVE to organize by theme. But I don't really have the room. I would have to have very broad themes!

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jan 20, 2013

My fiction section is loosely organized by level. My chapter books are all together by subject (Magic Treehouse, Junie B. Jones, Julius, etc.), and my nonfiction books are also organized by subject. I use red, yellow, and blue tubs I got from Dollar Tree, and they fit most of my books.

Oh, and my fiction books are on one small 2-shelf bookcase I bought at Wal-mart. My non-fiction books are in rectangular "milk crates" under my SmartBoard & dry-erase board.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2013

Could you fit bookshelves/crates mid room to create a reading 'nook'?

11. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Jan 20, 2013

Do you have space on the floor under the white board? I've got baskets of books lined up on the floor against the wall under my board. There are baskets of books in other places too, but probably close to half of them are under the white board.

12. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2013

Crates held together by zip ties might work?