Order of phonics teaching

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Preserviceteacher2012, Sep 16, 2018 at 7:16 AM.

1. Preserviceteacher2012

Preserviceteacher2012 New Member

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:16 AM

Hello all,

I was wondering others' opinion about the order of which the sounds should be taught: satpin or cardine (a, m, s, t, etc)--which is better?
    I've heard that Jolly Phonics is a popular program (satpin), while programs such as Letterland follows Cardine--Cardine teaches according to sounds most frequently used, although it seems to only go through the alphabet.

That being said, how do you teach phonics?
    Furthermore, how would you teach ESL students sounds (especially older students who would have less time to learn all the sounds)?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:15 PM

Is your question about teaching sounds or teaching letter-sound correspondences? There's a difference: the second is certainly phonics, but the first is phonemic awareness.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:13 PM

As far as materials go, I use the Spalding Materials. It uses 70 sounds which include blends such as "ch" "sh" "oy, "oa" etc. It sometimes gets a bad rap because of the rather dull way it is often taught. A fair point, so I just jazz it up to make it more fun. For order of sounds, I would suggest consonants, then vowels, and then blends.

Many of my students are ESL. They have a bit more trouble with the blends and vowels at first. I would suggest small groups and slowing down the pace a bit. Then, they will do just fine.

Preserviceteacher2012 likes this.
  5. Preserviceteacher2012

Preserviceteacher2012 New Member

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:53 AM

Phonics, as I would like to get to know how others' go about teaching letter-sound correspondence to facilitate reading and spelling.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:28 PM

I use McCracken spelling in grade 1 to teach letter/sound correspondence. It takes a bit to get a good routine going, but once you do it's pretty easy to manage.