Order of phonics teaching

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Preserviceteacher2012, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Preserviceteacher2012

Preserviceteacher2012 New Member

Sep 16, 2018

Hello all,

I was wondering others' opinion about the order of which the sounds should be taught: satpin or cardine (a, m, s, t, etc)--which is better?
    I've heard that Jolly Phonics is a popular program (satpin), while programs such as Letterland follows Cardine--Cardine teaches according to sounds most frequently used, although it seems to only go through the alphabet.

That being said, how do you teach phonics?
    Furthermore, how would you teach ESL students sounds (especially older students who would have less time to learn all the sounds)?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 16, 2018

Is your question about teaching sounds or teaching letter-sound correspondences? There's a difference: the second is certainly phonics, but the first is phonemic awareness.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 16, 2018

As far as materials go, I use the Spalding Materials. It uses 70 sounds which include blends such as "ch" "sh" "oy, "oa" etc. It sometimes gets a bad rap because of the rather dull way it is often taught. A fair point, so I just jazz it up to make it more fun. For order of sounds, I would suggest consonants, then vowels, and then blends.

Many of my students are ESL. They have a bit more trouble with the blends and vowels at first. I would suggest small groups and slowing down the pace a bit. Then, they will do just fine.

Preserviceteacher2012 likes this.
  5. Preserviceteacher2012

Preserviceteacher2012 New Member

Sep 17, 2018

Phonics, as I would like to get to know how others' go about teaching letter-sound correspondence to facilitate reading and spelling.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 18, 2018

I use McCracken spelling in grade 1 to teach letter/sound correspondence. It takes a bit to get a good routine going, but once you do it's pretty easy to manage.

7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Sep 24, 2018

It's important to also keep in mind that decoding and encoding rules work some of the time, and in many young children's reading material, they work much of the time, but children need to eventually realize that phonics is just one clue in decoding and encoding. "I" might come before "e", except in weird words such as "weird". Or you might eat dessert in a desert, but the VC/CV rule for "dessert" doesn't have a short "e", and "e" by 1 consonent in "desert" isn't long. In third grade, I enjoyed a lesson where we encounter such a word that "doesn't follow the rules", so we'd send that word with a note to the office. (The office was prepared beforehand to expect this). For extra fun, we'd track the note carriers trip to the office via walkie-talkies. (Frankly, I think the office secretaries had as much fun with this as the students)! One year, I had a small class that was obsessed with football, and we related non-rule following words to football infractions.

8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 25, 2018

I recently went to a training with the Orton-Gillingham philosophy and it literally was the best training I have ever been too. I teach first and we assume most students come in knowing the letter sounds. We review the long and short vowel sounds the first nine weeks. Then we moved on to phonics rules beginning with c vs. k rule. We just started the digraphs sh and th. Slow and steady.

readingrules12 likes this.
  9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 25, 2018

I agree so much with this. The Orton Gillingham method is one that I know has made a large impact on students.