Opportunities knocking, but is one right?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msrosie, Jun 25, 2015.

1. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 25, 2015

It sounds like you haven't even interviewed for the K position yet. Is that right? That said, I agree with swansong. I'd take the 6th position, given the timeline, the uncertainty, and the fact that you wouldn't be miserable in it. I've known too many people who were sure they were a shoo-in only to be disappointed when there were others who were also shoo-ins who beat them out. It happened in my district this past spring. There were at least three people out of five being interviewed who thought they were shoo-ins for two open positions. There were at least two others who were upset because they expected to be offered an interview at minimum and weren't. In the end, one of the shoo-ins and someone from the outside were offered the two positions. It just seems too risky for something that you aren't sure of when you have an acceptable, albeit not perfect, alternative.

2. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 25, 2015

Alright well, let me join in the club here. I was offered a job teaching 4/5 in a great district at a school no more than 15 minutes away. (and starts at 9 AM!) Then the very same day (yesterday) (in-between interview and offer) I got called to interview in my home district, which of course is nice because I know my area better and I'd be on the same schedule as my kids. Then I get another call today from another school in my home district to interview tomorrow. Both schools I'm not quite as excited to work at as the first district. I've only ever taught primary so not clear on what goes on in a 4/5. Interview tomorrow is for K and I'd scheduled another on Tuesday (probably upper grades), but that will probably be too late (scheduled with first district to sign papers Monday). It's hard to know what to do because I love being with my kids and so I hate missing out on having spring break, etc with them. But honestly, as teachers we get way more time than the average working parent.

As far as your Q goes, since you know the people, is there anyway you can find out how sure of a thing it is? You just never know what they want even if they said all those kind things to you.

3. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jun 25, 2015

You're right, I haven't interviewed yet, just scheduled the interview.

The people I've talked to said that it's a pretty sure thing. The P prefers to hire people who've worked in his building a lot either as subs or as aides because he knows whether they mesh with his staff and how they are as teachers.

Plus, it's been pretty common knowledge that he's gotten quite a bit of pressure from district level to diversify his staff.

So I have several things working in my favor.

And I just got called to interview at another school in my area.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 25, 2015

It sounds like you have a good chance at the job you want, but there are no guarantees. I guess what it comes down to then is...

Are you willing to risk possibly beginning the school year with no teaching job in order to hold out for the possibility of the perfect job?

Only you can answer that for you.

5. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Jun 27, 2015

Just wanted to add, the 6th grade teacher at our school is certified prek-3. I can't imagine her teaching the little ones! She is so good with the 6th graders. There is a lot you can do with the older ones.

That said, go with your gut on this one.

6. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 27, 2015

I agree with Bella. If you are okay if it turns out you have no job come fall, then do what you want to do.

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 27, 2015

I was in a similar situation and decided to go with the one I want, even if it means I don't get that job and I end up with zero offers. You only live once, right? Go for what you want!

8. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jun 28, 2015

I made the choice to pass on the job and hope and pray about the one that I want. I was really worried that I'd wake up the next morning and regret making the decision, but here we are on Sunday and I'm still 100% at peace with the choice that I made. If it blows up in my face and I end up without a job next year, it's just a risk I took.

9. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 28, 2015

I'm glad that you made the right decision for you.

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 29, 2015

Ahh good for you! I'm in the exact same boat. :thumb: Good luck!

11. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jul 22, 2015

Update:

My gamble at turning down the other school for what I thought and everyone else thought was an almost guaranteed spot at the school I spent most of last year at didn't pay off. I found out Monday that I didn't get the position. I'm really bummed out because I fit in so well in that school and the P has seen me teach and wrote me a glowing letter of recommendation.

The good news though is that I currently have an offer to be a LTS from the first of September until the first of February. The P is giving me until next Tuesday to accept, but right now I have no other interviews on the horizon so I'm 95% sure I'm accepting it. Even though because the dates are so awkward, I'd be taking myself out of the running for any possible midyear openings.