Opinion....field trips and $$$$

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by ecteach, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 25, 2014

How much do you think is an appropriate amount to request from parents for a field trip for students who are attending a Title 1 school? I'll fill you in on why I'm asking after I get the responses.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

$5-$10. But that's based on my own children attending a Title 1 school. They had a couple of trips (4th and 5th grades) that cost $40.

There wasn't a single family that couldn't come up with $40 with the 8 months notice they got. Of course some claimed they couldn't. The PTA would cover the costs for those kids.

However, about 25% of our families were very comfortable financially. We all worked hard to raise money and would donate a lot as well. If the school did not have that resource, and the system/school budget didn't pay for the trips, then I'd say zero.

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 25, 2014

For an academic field trip, nothing. Knowing my population, it's not worth the headache of finding out later how many can't/won't cover it.

For extra-curricular field trips, the most I've asked for is $20 for play tickets.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

$5-10. Around here, most places give discounts to title schools. Is that true in other areas? In the title schools I've been in, it is $2-5 with the school using title funds to make up the difference.

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2014

Depends on the trip. My Title 1 school is asking for $100 for a Senior Class trip to NYC. We asked for about $40 or $50 for our end-of-the-year HS field trip to King's Dominion (amusement park in Virginia). Honestly, I have found that many kids that get Free Lunch, cannot afford school supplies, their parents cannot afford to keep the phone connected all year long, etc. can somehow find the money for these fun trips. Of course not all, but many.

Now, our educational trips are much cheaper and a few are even free depending on trip. Yellow school buses are about $500 each here and they are NOT free - probably because the majority of the schools in Baltimore City PS are Title 1 so all buses would have to be free. Sometimes, teachers can work out a deal where the trip destination will also pay for the bus since we are a Title 1 school.

I have said this before: I have no problem with students not being able to go on a trip, especially a fun one, because they cannot afford it. Unfortunately, these are the trips the kids want to go on; many would rather pay $50 to go Six Flags than pay $10 to go to the Smithsonian.

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 25, 2014

What field trips did they go on that cost $40?

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 25, 2014

Most trips are between $10-12. We have to pay for the bus(es). So a couple are cheaper and some a bit more. We'll short the bus fund to pay for any students who can't afford it.

Our 5th grade goes to camp & they fund raise to help bring the cost down.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

Trips out of town - bus and admission

10. Sugar

Sugar Rookie

Sep 25, 2014

I really think anything over $10 is unacceptable. In a perfect world all people with children would be able to afford them, but obviously that's not the case. Some of that is attributed to ignorance and stupidity (very different things, of course), but life also has a way of making a mess if your best laid plans. So a school field trip, while often great and worthwhile, shouldn't burden families since it's not their choice of activities.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 25, 2014

I have one next week that is $40 a student- we had to get a coach bus since the drive is over an hour and we have two students who are diabetic and need access to the bathroom. That's what bumped it up to that much (before it was $34 or less) but you can't explain that to families. I don't think any family would have an issue paying that at my private school- I think only one family refused to pay it (it wasn't about not being able to afford it, they just didn't want to have to pay so our activities budget covered it).

Title 1 is a whole different type though- so I would try to limit it to under $20.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 25, 2014

I wish bus companies and the places that we want to bring our students would understand that. :( But when you're charging $500 or more for a bus alone and the school budgets are constantly being cut, there's no way you can only charge $10.

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 25, 2014

$10 to $15 is usually the ceiling for Title 1 schools. Over this and many parents will complain unless you are going somewhere incredible and give lots of advanced notice. Even then, it is a tough sell.

14. Sugar

Sugar Rookie

Sep 25, 2014

We do it all the time, but I know there are many variables at play. I would be very uncomfortable informing families of much more expensive field trips...just doesn't "feel right to my soul".

15. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 25, 2014

Nothing. Zero. Nada.

16. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Sep 25, 2014

Depends on the school... even for Title 1 schools, there is some variability. I worked at a 100% free breakfast/lunch/uniform school that still charged money for field trips ($4). It's hard to find affordable field trips and near impossible to provide them for free...

Donorschoose.org might be a good place to round up some funds, come to think of it. ;)

17. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Sep 25, 2014

At my title on school it depends on the purpose of the field trip. For example, at least one field trip per grade level is paid for with title one funds. There is a lot of paper work involve and activate for before and after the trip have to be described. Other trips are paid for by parents. Trips for clubs or anything out of town is paid for by parents and cost can range$10 and a few hundred. Last year out school choir went to DC on a four day trip. The cost was about $225 plus the cost of two meals. Parents were notified months in advanced, and most students went.
    I know some think that it's not fair to take a field trip that every student can't attend. But the truth of the matter is, all kids shouldn't miss out because some can't afford to go.

18. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 25, 2014

I think anything over $10 is ridiculous--even at a non Title one school. There's not much in my area that would cost much more than that anyway.

19. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2014

Unacceptable? So who is supposed to pay the $500 bus fee? Our school/"PTA" claims they don't have $500 for every bus needed for every trip. If you put 50 kids on a bus, that $10 right there.

20. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 26, 2014

We're doing 3 this year. Parents are being asked for $18 and they have the option to pay over 3 installments. My school is Title 1.

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 26, 2014

This is the first year I'm asking for money for a trip, and it will cost $3/student. Everything else we do is free. All the museums, aquarium, etc. around here have free workshops and trips for the kids. Once of our trips was to the local NPR radio station-totally free, and the kids loved it.

We either walk, get the bus sponsored with a grant from the organization we're going to (a lot will do this) or ask for parent drivers.

I think maybe not all districts will allow parent drivers-I only used them once last year, but this year I'm leaning heavily on them. It's allowing us to take 12 trips this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.