Online Tutoring

Discussion in 'General Education' started by emizrahi, Feb 12, 2013.

1. emizrahi

emizrahi New Member

Feb 12, 2013

Hi Everyone

I am student at Columbia University and I am doing some research in online tutoring. I was hoping that I could get some candid feedback.

I am just wondering if teachers use online tutoring at all to earn supplementary income? If so what platforms do you use?

Any other information connected to the industry would be appreciated!

Thanks

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2013

I don't and probably wouldn't do any sort of online tutoring myself. I feel like it would be difficult to tutor someone if you're not there sitting next to them pointing out things in the material/text, drawing diagrams, underlining, circling, highlighting, etc. In my experience, students who need intensive tutoring often need some pretty focused, one-on-one, side-by-side instruction. I don't think I'd be able to provide that level of instruction over the computer. I'm speaking for myself personally. I know that other teachers can and do handle the online thing very effectively.

4. ajr

ajr Rookie

Feb 13, 2013

I don't do it for pay and I'm not a teacher, but I tutor online for math and physics. I'm an undergrad student in pure math. There are online chatrooms for both math and physics, and people join with questions about homework often. Many come back routinely for help all year or semester long.

It takes a different set of skills to tutor to people over the internet than it takes to show people things face to face. Most things start off as just plain text, and if the concepts are too broad, I switch to an online whiteboard. Most problems can be resolved with just text, however.

5. physteach

physteach Companion

Feb 14, 2013

I actually did it when I was working on my Columbia degree (TC!). I used Brainfuse.

6. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta Rookie

Feb 17, 2013

I teach online full time and I use the virtual classroom of WizIQ. It is an extremely user friendly classroom and more and more students and teachers are adopting it for online education.:):)