Online ESL Teaching Job Available

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & FAQ' started by Nancy Taylor, May 7, 2017.

1. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jun 15, 2017

You're welcome, Nancy! I definitely would love to apply next year if there are still openings. So far, one friend who is currently a substitute teacher (and holds a teaching credential in history and a school counseling credential) applied to VIPKID but unfortunately didn't pass the interview. She was told that she would be eligible to reapply in another 3 months and really wants to apply again.

2. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:50 PM

Hi, all! I'm in the process of applying to teach with VIPKID and was happy to find this thread. I'm hoping I can get a question answered... or really, just get your thoughts on the matter. Open to input from anyone who cares to read this!

I'm early in the process. I submitted my basic information yesterday and have just started preparing for my interview. At first, I was really excited and wanted to book my interview for a couple of days from now to get the ball rolling. Now, after watching a couple of YouTube videos and reading a bit, my enthusiasm is dampened by the feeling that I need to do a ton more to practice and shopping to prepare for this interview than I initially thought. For example, one video I watched (Nancy, it may have been yours!) showed a nice wall behind the teacher with two world maps. Another girl's video had a white board, reward system, and cute decorations behind her. Some teachers have headsets and hand puppets. The camera on my desktop computer, where I'll have the best connection, faces into our guest room, so the wall isn't even within reach if that makes sense. Even if it was, I don't have these things to display or use. Are they expected or helpful for the interview stage? Thank you!

3. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:56 PM

I'm glad that you got an interview with VIPKID. I am interested in applying to VIPKID in the near future as well. I have a friend who interviewed for the job a few weeks ago but unfortunately received a rejection e-mail. Based on what I'm hearing about what VIPKID seems to looking for in a candidate, the factors such as props and backgrounds don't seem to matter that much. It seems that what they're really looking for is how well you can follow the provided lesson plan and communicate with children who do not know any English. VIPKID also seems to emphasize total physical response (TPR).

I hope that you get a job with VIPKID. Good luck!