Online class - copyright issue

Discussion in 'General Education' started by meg109481, Aug 18, 2015.

1. meg109481

meg109481 New Member

Aug 18, 2015

Hi!

I am interested to teach students online with the aid of a textbook. However, if my student can't get a copy of the textbook, I wanted to scan the page as a PDF and use the "share screen" feature on Skype. Assuming that my student does not do a screen cap, is it considered copyright infringement to do this? Is this the same as showing someone a PDF in person?

Any advice/info would be great!!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 18, 2015

There are specific exceptions to copyright rules in an educational setting. Updates have been made to accommodate those of us who teach online. More information may be found here.

4. meg109481

meg109481 New Member

Aug 19, 2015

Hi! Thanks you for the quick response!
    I have heard of "fair use", but It seems my situation is not included in this description.. :(
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to ask someone about this kind of situation?
    Thanks!

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2015

When I took online classes we had to purchase the book either hard copy or online. The teacher had links to things already on the internet, but never to scanned documents unless they weren't copyrighted. I think you need to find out the rules in Japan or your school district's policy.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 19, 2015

Can you find a book, or articles, covered under open source licensing?

Might be worth looking at courses on Coursera in your subject, or something similar, to see if they have any open source readings.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 19, 2015

You know, I think I know the answer, but you are in Japan, and how terrible it would be to say this is what is done here, only to find out that the same situation would be considered negatively where you are.

I am going to strongly suggest that you find someone very local to help you with this, to prevent any kind of misstep.

This is one time that "shopping local" would definitely be the way to go.

8. meg109481

meg109481 New Member

Aug 22, 2015

I live in Japan now, but Ill be moving back home to Canada. I just know that giving PDF copies of copyright materials is a big no-no.

One thing I wanted to do was have classes for test taking.. such as TOEFL. There probably isn't a lot of open source stuff for that.

I probably would be using mostly American/UK textbooks or sources.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 22, 2015