Old MacDonald

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by curious, Aug 7, 2007.

1. curious

curious Companion

Aug 7, 2007

Is this song too babyish for 2nd graders? I want to adapt it for a unit plan on trees I'm creating for class, but am wondering if 2nd graders of today are too 'mature' to sing Old MacDonald.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

I think everyone loves that song. We even sing it in Latin class--in Latin, of course!

Senex Marcus habet agrum, e i e i o....

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 7, 2007

If your kids are like mine, they won't mind. My kids learn an even and odd version and you can hear them sing it to themselves whenever they come across a math problem with even or odd all year long. They are so cute when they do that!

5. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

Old MacDonald had a farm e i e i o
    and on that farm, he had an oak tree e i e i o
    with some oak leaves here,
    and some acorns there
    here a tree, there a tree, everywhere a tree, tree
    Old MacDonald had a tree e i e i o.

maple, fir, apple...

You adapt it to include a fact about each kind of tree. In fact, you can have each of your students research a tree by using the internet or books and have them write their own part of the song.
    Each student picks a diffrent tree. You could have a pre-printed page and just have them fill in the name of the tree and the thing/fact that the specific tree has. They could then draw a picture of a leaf from that tree.

This would make a great hallway display or classroom book. Make sure that the class sings the entire song together at least once.

6. curious

curious Companion

Aug 8, 2007

Thanks for the replies! That'd be pretty neat to hear the song in Latin (and other languages, too). Adapting Old MacDonald to teach even and odd numbers--now that sounds like a fun way to spice up math (wish my teacher in grade school had done that). Ponypal, thanks for the strategies; they sound terrific.

It's so hard trying to figure out how to plan lessons for all the different grades. I'm still in college (graduate this coming spring-yay!) and have very little experience with children in an elementary setting. It's great to come here and find answers.

7. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I do this all the time for science themes. The songs are called "Piggy Back Songs" where you use a familiar tune and change the words. Get yourself an autoharp (super easy to play) and you can add music to the songs. You'll find that Twinkle Twinkle Little Star tune can go with almost any poem you have found or made up to turn it into a song to sing.:love: