okay to have sleeveless shirt?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ahodge79, May 27, 2014.

1. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

May 27, 2014

Hi,

I'm in SoCal and am gearing up for some interviews. There are actually a lot of things to apply to this year and I just found out I made it past a district screening to have my resume sent to principals- this large district will have at least 80 positions. Over 800 people applied! [originally posted for 30 jobs] I guess I did well on the Target Success survey and they called in a bunch of people to do screenings, not sure how many or how many got through.

Anyways, I have been to a couple of interviews already and noticed a lot of people wearing skirts (surprisingly most interviewees are very young, I'm in my mid-30s). I don't think I can do the skirt thing and am opting for black dress pants. I was wearing a black & white top with suit jacket, but after reading on here, I decided I needed some color. I'm thinking something with green. I found one I really like but it doesn't have sleeves- is that okay to wear or do I need a jacket or cardigan over it? It's a little bunchy on top so I'm not sure...

[​IMG]

Thanks!

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 28, 2014

I would personally wear a jacket over a sleeveless shirt. I actually don't like wearing sleeveless shirts to work either, so it could just be my personal preference. At work I wear short sleeved sweaters over sleeveless tops and dresses. I would personally feel that sleeveless doesn't look super professional in an interview, but I could be wrong.

I know it's hot, but you aren't outside too long, and schools are usually air conditioned. :)

Good luck to you by the way, and good for you getting interviews in SoCal - no easy task!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 28, 2014

I wouldn't wear sleeveless to an interview, particularly the top with the lace insert on the back that you posted (although, it's really a cute top!).

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 28, 2014

I definitely would wear a jacket over it. The shirt seems more like something I'd wear out to dinner on a Friday night than something I'd teach in.

6. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

May 28, 2014

I would definitely wear a jacket over it. I had an interview today and it's super hot and muggy outside but still wore a jacket - just cranked the a/c in my car. ;) I took the jacket off as soon as I got back out to my car. It definitely looks more professional to wear a jacket, or at least a nice cardigan over it.

7. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

May 28, 2014

I ALWAYS wore a jacket when I interviewed. I kept it hanging in the backseat of my car on my way to and from the interview so I only wore it into the building-during the interview-back to my car. I feel it really helps with the professional image.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 28, 2014

Wear it with the jacket. If you feel comfortable enough that you can relax a little, then you can attempt wearing the shell. However, keep it business for as long as you deem necessary.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 28, 2014

Wear a jacket...

10. eireannash

eireannash Rookie

May 28, 2014

I vote to wear a jacket. I also have a short sleeved cardigan that looks very nice. It is not one of my usual from target whatever ones. It looks dressier and I will wear that if it is very hot. I also have a jacket that is 3/4 sleeves that is fancier. I wear that sometimes too. I agree with everyone else though. Just bring it in the car, crank the A/C, and take it off after. But be comfortable! The last thing you want to be worrying about is your clothes.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 28, 2014

I wish the picture was still there! I wanna see!!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 28, 2014

I always wear a jacket or cardigan.

I would never, but the only time I think sleeveless might work is if it was a sleeveless dress.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2014

Based on this description, I'd wear a jacket.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 28, 2014

I think it's better to wear a jacket to an interview. It's better to be overdressed than under-dressed.

15. msbeetle

msbeetle New Member

May 28, 2014

I actually did wear a sleeveless shirt to my job interview, and I got the job. It was modest, to the edge of my shoulders. I wrestled with the idea for a while, but in the end, I wore it and carried my sweater with me. But I agree with the other poster, the lace back may push the boundaries a little too much, and first impressions are everything. There are people who would not appreciate the sleeveless, so it really depends on whether its worth the risk or not!

16. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

May 28, 2014

Right-click on the little picture icon in the OP - I selected "open in new window" and it took me to the picture of the top, for those of you who want to see it. :)