Ohio teachers - what do you think of the Governor's new education plan?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sevenplus, Jan 28, 2009.

1. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jan 30, 2009

At first, I was very excited to have a friend of education, and a friend of southern Ohio in the highest position. After reading that speech, I am very alarmed at what I read.

I agree that there are some fine points made, of course lacking the specifics of how it is to occur. I am very frightened at the absurdity of evaluating teachers on student performance. His so called career ladder just got the rungs sawed in half on my end of it. I teach special education by choice. I cannot *FORCE* my students to pass some stupid test that is written at least 3 grade levels above their current achievement level. Therefore, I cannot be rewarded for performance, and cannot advance beyond just a teacher (regardless of the fact that I am now a teacher leader, and I serve as a mentor). It totally perturbs me when everyone continually insists on viewing education as a one size fits all system. We are leaving students behind every day because I cannot meet their needs in the context of the core curriculum.

I just hope and pray that this will get shot down at some point and get some major revisions.

I did hear some input from OEA, so the union is aware of the issues of a longer school day & year. Local contracts have been negotiated based on a certain time frame. All of those negotiations could be revisited with longer working hours.

I personally wouldn't care if the school year were changed. I do work in a modernized building with AC. However, I agree about the warm weather...students are lost when they're dreaming about being outside. As it is, I see students that are totally done after the test. The last month of school is basically a waste of time. They couldn't care less...they know the test is the be all end all, and once it's finished, why try anymore??

Sorry for the novel, but it seems to have struck a chord with me.

2. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 31, 2009

I am curious to see how the unions will react when the union endorsed governor-our "education" governor-lengths our school year and our school day without increasing our pay. I do not disagree that our education system in Ohio needs reforming, and actually, I am not against a longer day or year, but I also know I want to be paid for my time.
    I also am a little frightened by the fact that he assumes the low performing schools are the result of the teachers. I work my butt off-and I am WAY too stressed when I leave the building-to have the governor feel that I am the reason my students can't pass an unfair test. Our parents are not held accountable. Not one iota. I can only do so much in 7 hours of time. I can lead the horse to the water, but I can't make him drink it. I suffer daily to see that my hard work can be undone in an evening at home. The parents of the students I teach do not value education-plain and simple. Until districts;until the state government come up with a feasible plan to hold parents accountable for their child's education, I do not see any reform becoming successful.
    Just my two cents.

3. lowrider_7

lowrider_7 New Member

Jan 31, 2009

The Columbus Dispatch said the OEA supported this measure 100%.

After visiting the website, that seems true to me also. When we start the new school year and they pass out the union dues sheet, I will not be signing. A union is supposed to work for its members. I never once was asked my opinion on Stickland's proposals.

If I had to guess, I would say someone got paid off higher up in the OEA to back this measure. I wont support a union that does not value the input of its members

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 31, 2009

My school is non-union and at-will (as most charter schools are), but I'm just grateful to have gotten my foot in the door of a school that supports their staff and students. I support the ideals NEA as a whole but am not a member, so what OEA decides is outside of my realm.

That being said, I'm withholding my judgement until the budget is released. That will be the true answer to all of our questions and concerns.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2009

Well, we'll see what he has to say about the budget on Monday.

I doubt all of this will come to fruition.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2009

Let's hope it doesn't sevenplus. At least some of it.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 2, 2009

Governor Strickland Unveils Budget Today
    Karen Kasler, Ohio Public Radio, Associated Press
    COLUMBUS, OH (2009-02-02)

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland is expected to release details of an ambitious plan to increase state aid for education and solve the state's longstanding school funding problem.

Strickland is scheduled to present his two-year budget plan later this morning. The proposal promises a $925,000,000 increase in state education funding and an expansion in children's health care.

The Democratic governor has pledged not to raise taxes. Strickland said the state will be able to fund the proposal and weather a projected $7 billion budget deficit by raising state fines and shrinking the budgets of many state agencies by 10 to 20 percent.

Strickland's budget plan also relies on an expected $3.4 billion from an upcoming federal stimulus package.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2009

Yeah, and he's also going to raid the state's "rainy day fund".

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 3, 2009

If this isn't a rainy day, it's looking mighty overcast! :2cents:

10. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Feb 3, 2009

Reading all this sure makes me glad I moved from Ohio to NC to teach. I did teach for 1 year in OH last year in a charter school and it was the most horrendous experience ever. Now I am in a truly wonderful school in NC and I do not regret it one bit.

However...I'm 24 and single with no kids so it was easy for me to just up and relocate.

Hearing about all this makes me so glad I left--I thought much of what Ohio did already was a dog and pony show...now NC isn't perfect either, but I'm glad I came here because now I look forward to working with my children instead of dreading it like I did last year. ;)

11. cmw

cmw Groupie

Feb 3, 2009

Our supt. commented to the news about the fact that we are already in debt & it would cost 2 mill to make the school year longer! :eek:

12. ByCandleLight

ByCandleLight Rookie

Feb 4, 2009

Amen to that!

I want to see an educational plan that reads along the lines of:

We will be the first state to fine/garnish government benefits if the child receiving those benefits exceeds the maximum number of absentee days.

We will be the first state that demands parents take classes on how to help children complete homework

We will be the first state that addresses that fact that the majority of failing students come from broken homes because babies are having babies and are more worried about becoming MILFS than raising their child. One 16 year old student of mine thinks it's cute that her kid can cuss and hits people. He's two. I wonder if it will still be cute when he's 16 himself? Another who just had her baby says that it's great having a kid in HS because you don't want to be old when your kid reaches their teenage years. Nah...this way you can party with your child and get drunk with him/her on the weekends. Whoo hoo! Yet another girl gave birth on a Monday and went out clubbing on that Friday. She passes out baby pictures and talks about the 40 dollar Nikes she bought her son, but her mother watches him every single day, and she's pregnant again. In our school of under 400...we currently have 18 girls that are pregnant. That's just the ones who are pregnant...not the ones that have kids already. And I wouldn't trust a single one of them with a dog, much less a developing human being. Their children will no doubt perpetuate the endless cycle of not giving a crap about education, talking trash to teachers, and being a general PITA. Not because they're born "bad" but because they're being raised by a bunch of selfish snots with the mental maturity of toddlers.

Where's the government plan to address this? Why do teachers get dragged over the rocks and parents get coddled? Where's the accountability in this country? It's alright for a 16 year old to drive a car, but he can't handle the responsibility of turning in his own homework? Where's the plan to handle that gem of logic?

13. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2009

Whoa....nicely written. I applaud you. According to the Ohio governor, it's all the teachers fault. ;)

14. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Feb 8, 2009

:clap::2up: Candle ~ any thoughts of moving to Ohio & entering politics??? I think I :wub: you!