Ohio Resident Educator Program

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by jw12, Jul 9, 2012.

1. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Jul 9, 2012

Hello All,

With the implementation of Ohio's new Resident Educator program, I have a couple of questions to any of you who may be "in-the-know."

Honestly, in my area of the Buckeye state, jobs are hard to come by. So while I just received my new 4-year RE license, I don't have high hopes of getting a job for the fall.

What happens if I don't get hired for the fall? Will I have only three years to complete the program?

What happens if it takes a couple of years before getting hired? Then what?

Is the RE licensure renewable? I can't exactly complete the program if I'm not working full-time.

Is it just me, or does this all seem terrible complicated?

Thanks for any help!

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

Oh the RE program :lol: I just completed my first year. What a joke it was. Didn't help me at all, just added more paperwork. I could go on and on lol.

I know when I was talking with my old P about not coming back since I decided to move, he thought if I didn't get a job for the year, that the license just sort of went on hold and obviously I didn't then have a shorter time. He didn't know for sure though.

4. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Jul 9, 2012

I wondered about the license being "on hold" until I'm hired. It just seems as though this wasn't thought-out well at all.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

No I don't think it was thought about at all! Unfortunately for those of us going through the program... We went to a meeting to talk about year 2 and all they said was it's probably going to be like year 1 but they're not sure :rolleyes::whistle:

6. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 9, 2012

The whole program is not thought out at all, and ODE will admit that to you. Apparently after 3-4 years in the RE program, you are supposed to take a test. Yet, they haven't even written the test yet...so obviously they can't tell you what to study!

I would think that if you weren't hired for this school year, you would just pick up with your first year obligations whenever you obtained employment. I don't think there's any sort of penalty for delaying employment. But if you delay too long, they'll probably come up with some new RE program with a whole new set of requirements by then! :lol:

7. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Jul 9, 2012

Thanks @dgpiaffeteach and @BumbleB. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one in this! You're right that things will probably be totally changed by the time I get a job anyway! :lol:

No matter what, the job search will continue!

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

BumbleB-We were actually taking bets on how long the program will last if you want in on it :lol:

My favorite was when they told us we may have the option to take the test in our 3rd year if we wanted. My response? So what's the purpose of the fourth year?!

9. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 9, 2012

I am not an expert by any means, but by searching ODEs website I discovered a link to Ohio Revised Code that has a section that states
    "(E) A four year resident educator license may be extended by the Ohio department of education on a case by case basis in order to enable the license holder to complete the Ohio resident educator program.

Effective: 02/24/2012" taken from this link
    http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/3301-24-18

So, I'm thinking that if you contacted the department to request an extension that it would be possible. The pdf file that shows the 4 tiers of licenses offered states that the Resident Educator license is a 4 year non-renewable license, but extensions are granted on a case by case basis. I saw an 877 number on the website somewhere, but now I can't find it easily to link for you.

Good luck!

10. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Jul 9, 2012

SWEET! That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks so much. Something tells me that there will be a lot of problems with this as it is fully implemented. In this tough job market, not everyone will get a job right after graduation. Some changes are going to have to be made.

By the way, I found the toll-free number for ODE: 1-877-644-6338.

Like I said before, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one in this. Thanks for all the info, guys!

11. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 10, 2012

:hugs: I'm so glad I graduated years ago! I would definitely email someone at ODE. I would email so you have written proof & a contact person. ;)

12. HMart

HMart New Member

Feb 1, 2015

I am having a similar issue. I work as a museum educator and we have no mentors, no superintendent, no one to answer questions or guide us. So, do I just lose my license because I don't work in a traditional school? I feel like the state wants everyone to teach their way, and work in their schools, or we become irrelevant. I didn't go to school for four years, to then have to do another four years of extensive work. I'd rather get my PhD. I don't see anywhere on the ODE website that explains a route of action for those who are in non-traditional settings, or don't work in a school. I have had my job for 2 years now, and I haven't done any educator programs. Am I just screwed?

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 1, 2015

HMart, I had a very difficult time getting in touch with someone when I had a question last year. Thankfully I'm almost done (passed all the RESA sections-woohoo!) but I would just keep emailing and calling any and all of the contact info you can. I got the most response from the RESA email but ultimately I only got real answers when my super reached out.

14. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Feb 1, 2015

You might have some success by finding an educational service center in your area. All of our local districts contract with the local ESC, who then train local people to be mentors. I agree with calling and pestering. My advice though is to always get the name of the ODE staff member each time you call. They are notorious for giving different answers each time you speak.