Oh the silliness - unnecessary really release for snow

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 10, 2011

Oh the silliness - unnecessary early release for snow

I'm not really complaining here (after all, I'm about to take a nap!) but my district went way overboard with the snow today. They called for an early release. The kids came in at 8:30 and were dismissed at 10...and it started snowing at 3:30! I'd love a delay tomorrow, but I really don't hope they call a snow day...that would mean a day of spring break lost!

Silly Southerners ;)

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2011

I don't know about you, but at my school, if we are here until a certain time, we legally have to feed the kids lunch. By the time we get everyone out of lunch, I think the buses are already occupied with another run. It might have been a choice between 10:00 or the end of the day when it would be potentially snowing.

4. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Jan 10, 2011

We were dismissed at 12:43 and it hasn't even started snowing yet. Its exam time at the high school level and we couldn't give them today, so it's pushed back the whole schedule.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2011

It's supposed to start here tomorrow morning between 1 and 4, and snow all day. It will be interesting to see how they handle it...

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 10, 2011

Silver, I didn't think about the lunch thing....good point.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 10, 2011

We didn't even have school today and won't tomorrow either here in Alabama.

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2011

I'm sure we're in for it tomorrow. The snow isn't supposed to start until after rush hour in the morning. So we'll have school. And then watch the roads get worse and worse and the students get picked up one by one and then we'll dismiss at the regular time and it will take me 2 hours to get home (normally a 20 minute drive).

Can you tell I'm not looking forward to it?

9. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 10, 2011

We had our snow day today and didn't even get any snow. I think we were called due to icy bridges which likely thawed shortly after the sun rose.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 10, 2011

Well they called it -- snow day tomorrow. I didn't want one, but now that I have one part of me is happy. I took home a bit of extra work (in case of snow day) that I took home for Christmas break and never did :whistle:

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 10, 2011

It was 47 degrees (no precipitation of any kind either) at dismissal and some teachers refused to come outside for dismissal, which made the pick up line super slow.

I know some parents send their kids to school in shorts, and maybe that is why they stayed in. But something needs to give!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2011

How can they "refuse" to come outside for dismissal? Isn't that part of the job they've been hired to do?

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 10, 2011

Yes, it's a required duty.

It isn't very considerate to stay in because it forces those of us who are outside to not only stay out in the weather longer, but their kids come out to meet their parents' vehicles with only a few people on duty. It's just not as safe.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 10, 2011

47? That's beach weather here! :lol: Our kids go outside for recess until it gets below -15!

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 10, 2011

I know! Which is another reason I thought it was ridiculous people didn't want to go out "in the weather."

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 10, 2011

We have parents complaining to no end that there is school tomorrow, and many saying they will keep kids home. Granted, it's below freezing, precipitation is still coming down, there are power outages in many areas, and a few major roads closed in the city. Combined with a largely rural area, and I see their concern. Ordinarily when this happens, the district excuses absences. The issue is that students are taking midterm exams this week, which cannot be made up without a doctor's note. A parent note is not sufficient. It will get interesting...