Of Mice and Men

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Emily Bronte, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 3, 2007

Hi I will be teaching the book Of Mice and Men[ next year to 10th graders. This will be a new book for me (teaching). Does anyone have any suggestions for general approaches to it, activities, etc. that have worked well? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3. lmjcatz

lmjcatz Rookie

Jun 3, 2007

I haven't taught Of Mice and Men before so I can't tell you what has worked for me-but have you checked Web English Teacher for resources/ideas? There are a couple of study guides and other resources available for the novel.

http://www.webenglishteacher.com/mice.html

4. dr77

dr77 Rookie

Jun 4, 2007

Hello,

I am an English teacher in the UK and have taught Of Mice and Men for the last five or six years. I think it's a fantastic book and still look forward to teaching it every year.

My classes always enjoy it - top set and bottom set - and I find that it is the unit of work that they engage with more than any other. They have produced some fantastic pieces of writing from the point of view of the various characters in the novel and always score well on this section of the exam.

I think that the book teaches itself to a great extent although I have some worksheets / PowerPoint / mulitmedia presentations that I would be happy to give to anybody that would find them useful.

I also make games and quizzes using Flash and have 100 quotes from the novel saved a question file which can be used with these quizzes. I am conscious of the rule about self-promotion (and do not want to break it with my first post!) but in this case I hope that the link is relevant.

You can find details of the quizzes on my website. I think that my web address can be viewed by looking in my profile on this website.

My email address is on the website too if anyone would like to contact me about the worksheets and PowerPoints I have made whilst teaching Of Mice and Men. I would be very happy to share them with anybody that would find them useful.

Good luck and enjoy the novel - I am sure you will,

David

5. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 4, 2007

Thank you both! I will check things out.

6. David DiCaprio

David DiCaprio Rookie

Jun 19, 2017

What a classic book but be careful. A lot of schools have now banned the book due to multiple reasons. We came across this when reconstructing our curriculum.

-David DiCaprio

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 19, 2017

Check the dates, David. This thread is ten years old.