Obsessive Compulsive Teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ayotte04, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Let's see . . . I'm big on containers and labels. I like having everything labeled so it's easy for the kids to put things away, and subs really appreciate it as well. I especially like containers like baskets and boxes for bookshelves and desk drawers. I'm more organized in small areas than in open areas, so I like putting my desk items in small containers in my large drawers.

I also don't allow myself to put things in places other than where they go. I have one basket near my desk that is a "catch all" where I put things that I can't put back for some reason or things that don't yet have their own spot. I make sure I clean that basket out once a week.

2. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Yes...the thought of excessive labels and excessive containers makes me drool. Only problem is it is expensive when you're starting out like me...a brand new teacher.

If I bought everything I wanted/needed....I wouldn't be able to cash in my first few paychecks hehe.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 16, 2007

I've had 14 years to collect containers. I've picked up a few here and there over the years. I focused on one area and tried to pick up things just for that. Now I've pretty much got it set. I just replace things that break most of the time.

I had to tear myself away from the containers section at Dollar General today. They had too many cute containers in colors I'm using in my classroom this year!

I recommend a label maker, too. I have one of the hand held electronic ones. It wasn't that expensive, and I use it all the time.

4. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

When I did my student teaching oh so long ago, my cooperating teacher had a white milk crate looking container with the hanging file folders. She had a folder labeled with each day and would put in any worksheets or books she needed for that day in the correct hanging folder. The kids switched for math so she had a seperate one for math. If there was something that wasn't completed on the day she planned, she would just move it to the next file folder so it was there for the next day... and she wouldn't forget that it needed to be completed. She would set up for the next week on Friday afternoons before she left for the weekend.

When I was teaching Kindergarten I modified this idea because all of my manipulatives, etc. wouldn't fit very well in a file folder. I got small clear plastic containers (I think they were the shoe sized boxes) and had them labeled, one for each day. If I could get the lids on them I would stack them in my little "teacher area" and if the lids didn't fit because there was too much in one, I laid them out on the window sill next to the table where I held my small group activities.

I also use binders to store all of my units. All master copies, book lists, and other ideas that go along with a theme are in 3 ring binders, organized alphabetically. It took me quite a few years to get these together but it definitely got easier as time went on.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Great ideas! Will you keep the binder locked up in case of, shall we say, student misdeeds? (i.e., midnight visits to the teacher's desk -- we've had several breakins since January!)

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Ayotte04"

You said: "Yes...the thought of excessive labels and excessive containers makes me drool. Only problem is it is expensive when you're starting out like me...a brand new teacher. "

I agree -- just looking at them drains my checking account! However, there are less expensive alternatives for many of them. Why not start out with empty shoe/boot boxes? You can wrap them in any color paper and label them on the front/side/top as to what they contain. I am a box recycler crazy woman! My husband has to sneak the paper case boxes from work, because we have already taken so many! I got my electronic (Brother, I think) on clearance, along with LOTS of label tape, so I am ready to label stuff, just step out of my way!

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Binder ideas!

Letsteach said:
    In yellow highlighter pen I write a large "M" on the front. Yellow highlighters do not show through when you photocopy. (You can write notes in the yellow and it won't show through, other colours [blue, green, pink, etc will though]). I photocopy the number I require and any extras get put behind the master.

and

Teacherksey said:
    I also use binders to store all of my units. All master copies, book lists, and other ideas that go along with a theme are in 3 ring binders, organized alphabetically. It took me quite a few years to get these together but it definitely got easier as time went on.

I may not be in a classroom yet, but I wholeheartedly agree! I have been "chewing on" this organizational method for about a year, and have recently begun doing it for my personal files (i.e., my portfolio, etc.). I love it because, if you get the binders with the "view" plastic on the front/spine, once they are labeled it is easy to figure out which one you want! I'm just trying to decide if I want different colors for different categories/classes, or all white so they are uniform and look extremely organized!

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

Cassie, I laughed out loud when I read this! I tell my kids all of the time, "Okay, this is where Mr. Stapler (or whatever) lives... Make sure he makes it back home before you leave this room." And I teach HIGH SCHOOL! They laugh, but they put Mr. Stapler back in the right place! :D

I'm also super organized at school but not nearly as much at home.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

I have also always had an extremely organized work space at work. The exception to that was my last bookkeeper job where my new boss handed me 7 years worth of bank statements that had not been reconciled and said here! They need to be reconciled, expenses need to be catalogued, and I have no idea how much money I have in the bank, so it needs to be fast!

At home, it's a disaster! I still have unpacked boxes, and we moved in 2 years ago! UGH! Luckily, though, I am untidy, but not dirty!

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

I end up supplementing my math curriculum with a lot of self-made worksheets, or things I find from other sources. I make a binder for each unit and put a copy of everything I do in that binder. I can then use it again the next year if I want to. I do this for other curriulcum also, but find it most useful in math.

I usually run off two extra copies when I make the class set. One for the binder, and one to keep as an extra in case someone needs a new one.

11. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

oh... the kids got their semester grades after Christmas and didn't like them eh?

12. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Oh Gosh, I LOVE sticking my lesson plans in binders! I bought 30 little 1 inch ones at Walmart the other day and it costed $60 :(:(:( I would have gotten the cheaper ones, but I like the white ones with the plastic lining. I WANT to be the most organized teacher EVER this year with the new reading series. (I know..yeah right:p)

What I want to know:
    Does anyone ever fully "perfect" a year before it actually starts?
    I feel like I've got nothing accomplished this summer but get married:p

13. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

yeah right now i have one of those manual label makers....not the electronic ones. later in the year I'll probably go buy an electronic one. they are so spiffy. I used them all the time when i worked retail

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2007

I dunno -- all I know is that they used the window in a friend of mine's classroom to break in and tore up a bunch of stuff and stole some candy. Not sure of the rest yet.

15. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Oh god...I can't stop laughing....I can just hear you saying "mr. stapler" hahahaha

16. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

17. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Sorry I can't help the "office Space" allusion...
    "But..but but...Thattthz my staypler"

I love milton <3<3<3

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

It's not possible.

How much and exactly what you teach depends partly on the kids in front of you, and that can't be determined until they get there. Rough drafts of plans, sure. But much more than that is wishful thinking.

And CONGRATS on your marriage!!

19. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

ditto!

20. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

i've had that happen to a pass that I wrote, the kid changed the day and time that i wrote on it, went down to the opposite end of the building and got into HUGE trouble. I got blamed.:eek:

After that I went to carbon copy passes on a receipt type booklet so i could prove which passes i wrote and didn't write. I wish they made carbon copy hall pass books.