Observation Lesson Tips

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Dec 2, 2018

My announced observation is on Tuesday and I am trying to get a lesson ready for it today. My mentor who teaches the same subject and grade as me helped me come up with a plan for the lesson. I've gotten pretty good evaluations so far from my principal but I know he likes to see a lot of group work, etc. My objective would be "SWBAT solve ratio problems using a table, double number line, and proportion." My plain is as follows:

-Do Now: completing a ratio table + sharing strategies (10 mins)
    -I would then give students a ratio task to work on and I would assign each group a strategy (table, double number line, or proportion) . They would have some time independently (maybe 5 minutes) and then finish solving the problem with their group. I would then give each group chart paper to show their solution on a poster. (30 minutes)
    -Students would then do a gallery walk where they record the strategies of other groups and identify two similarities and two differences between each strategy. (I'm confused about how to run a gallery walk though...the kids would only need to switch to 2 groups. I could have all of the tables stick their chart paper in one part of the room and have 9 kids moving together maybe?) (10 minutes)
    -We would have a class discussion about similarities and differences. If time, I would plan an extension problem, but I don't think there would be.
    -Exit Ticket where they solve a problem with at least 2 strategies (5 minutes)

I'm concerned because this is very "student lead" but it is also my best and highest class...so I think they would be able to do it. Behavior hasn't been perfect with this group but I know it won't be a problem with the principal in the room. I'm just hoping that the gallery walk goes alright! I was thinking that I could have the kids leave their chart paper on their desks and just have the kids move desks so they're not all around the room? I'm not sure.

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 2, 2018

I would have one concern about the poster thing. It might be hard for multiple students to work on one poster.What would the other kids be doing while the one group member was writing on the poster?

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Dec 2, 2018

They would have to do it as a group so everyone would need to be giving input, etc.

5. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

Dec 2, 2018

You could try assigning each person in the group a specific task or piece of the problem when it comes to making the poster, and then each person writes in a different color to show what they completed.

Is there a way that you could break up the groups and make them smaller? Maybe have two or three problems and then assign each group a strategy and problem. I would try to do no more than maybe 5 people per group; more than that and I feel like it's asking for trouble.

Also, for the gallery walk, if you stick to the larger groups, don't put the charts all in one place. Spread them out in the corners of your room. If you run low on space for all kids to be up, could the other students be working on the extension problem?

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Dec 3, 2018

^
    I like the idea of spreading the charts. I think I’ll have 2 “loops” around the room and have kids number or letter their poster accordingly. During the gallery walk, I would have one group move as a group of 6 since I have an extra group of 3.

My groups are 4 people now so I hope that works. I have to think about ways to ensure that all kids are participating in the poster. I’ve done posters with this group and they do ok with it. My mentor does a lot of group posters with groups of 6.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2018

I like your lesson idea--lots of variety to keep the kids engaged and moving. This type of lesson is exactly what would be expected here. Having a specific purpose for the gallery walk will help them to know exactly what they are looking for. I like to leave at least 2 meters between posters when putting them up for a gallery walk as it helps to alleviate a bit of congestion.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 3, 2018

My best advice: look at the observation rubric to make sure you don't miss little things that can make a difference in rating.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.