NYSTCE Multi-Subject Secondary CST

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by DanielleT, Feb 16, 2015.

1. DanielleT

DanielleT Rookie

Feb 16, 2015

Has anyone taken the revised Multi-subject CST for Secondary Education? I am currently teaching but going for a second certification in Special Education and this exam is required. They only have 3 sample questions on their website and they seem difficult.

Any insight?

Thanks in Advance!
    Danielle

3. haltrh35

haltrh35 New Member

Mar 3, 2015

Danielle,

I'm in the same boat, been teaching 10 years but working on my SWD certification and will be taking the 7-12 Multi-Subject. I'm a little worried as well, especially with the math component and there doesn't seem to be much for test preparation available. I'll keep an eye on this thread for other responses or contact me if you find out any other info.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 3, 2015

For the math, the expectation clearly is that you're going to know some high-school-level math. Your best bet may be printing out a copy of the list of math "performance indicators" in the assessment design and framework to use as a checklist to guide you as you rummage through the short math videos and exercises on Khan Academy. If you don't already know how to work a graphing calculator, find someone who's math-savvy and a good explainer.

For the literacy/language arts, study guides for the Literacy test, area 065, and the English/language arts test, area 003, could prove helpful.

5. DanielleT

DanielleT Rookie

Mar 10, 2015

I actually am a math teacher... I am at the middle school level right now but I am certified 5-12. I took the math portion already, which I know I passed. However, I can see it being extremely difficult for someone who is not familiar with the content, especially the open response...it was an 8th grade standard so I already know the common mistakes.

The science/ social studies part I figured I would just wing it.... Not sure how I did... Think it could have gone either way.... Will find out in another 2 weeks... I am nervous about the ELA portion as that was always my weakest area... Thanks for the tips and I am going to look up those study guides.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 11, 2015

Oh, sorry, DanielleT: I was responding to haltrh35.

If the ELA section is typical, it will require you to know some things about literacy acquisition, and that's content that most of us don't learn anywhere outside a teacher-certification program. You might want to look for some of the discussions of other states' reading-instruction tests, in the Other Tests subforum.

7. rc55

rc55 New Member

Jun 7, 2015

Hi. I am a certified math teacher who is about to take this exam. For reference I scored a 790 on the math portion of the SAT. However the math sample questions on the NYSTCE seem very diffult... Was this the caliber of questions on the exam? Any advice for how to prepare?

Thx so much

8. DanielleT

DanielleT Rookie

Jun 9, 2015

Honestly, I did not really do much to prepare for the exam. Yes, the sample questions were similar to the caliber of some the questions. Some were easier.

What level are you teaching at? If you received a 790 on the SAT, this test should be a breeze. I scored no where near a 790 and I passed this test.

9. rc55

rc55 New Member

Jun 15, 2015

Thx so much for responding!

I teach in 7th grade, so some basics to topics like algebra and geometry, etc.

Those three sample questions scared me! I found them to be hard, actually. If those questions are like the norm, I would be nervous.

You said you didn't prepare much... Did you pass by a considerable margin?

Thx soo much for your help!

10. JeanieL03

JeanieL03 New Member

Jun 16, 2015

Hey guys! I'm didn't make the deadline to hand in my paperwork to get my additional certificate in students with disabilities. Therefore, I will have to take the multi subject (7-12) test. I haven't taken math class since 2002. I am trying to prepare for the test. Do you guys recommend any books? or test sites? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Jeanie

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2015

Khan Academy might be a good place to start.

12. DanielleT

DanielleT Rookie

Jun 16, 2015

I was nervous myself when I saw those questions. Plus the fact that there are only 3 questions......I scored a 570 out of 600....I actually thought I did better but I will take it

13. DanielleT

DanielleT Rookie

Jun 16, 2015

Jeanie....Khan is a great resource...However, the amount of math topics on this test is huge! I wouldn't even know where to tell you to begin. You would be watching videos for weeks.

I recommend reviewing some Geometry and Algebra 2/Trig regents. Also some calculus...Try jmap.org and click on regents exams.

For the written response...you will need to examine student work and find the mistake. On my test, all of the students work was correct except for the last calculation.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2015

There was an error in calculation in the sample question along with the process error, so it wouldn't be surprising to find that a process error along with the calculation error in the related actual question.

Khan Academy videos have the considerable virtue of being short individually and organized overall, but they're far from the only possibility out there.

15. JeanieL03

JeanieL03 New Member

Jun 17, 2015

Thank you so much!

16. JeanieL03

JeanieL03 New Member

Jun 17, 2015

Thank you!

17. moheron

moheron New Member

Jul 12, 2015

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and am so happy to have found this thread. I've taken the NYSTCE SWD and passed, then NYS decided I have to take the Multi-Subject. I took it, passed two of the three sections (failed the Math). I'm within 10 points of passing the Math and have done well on the constructed response which means I'm blowing the MC.
    I purchased a book from Amazon, called Deconstructing the NYSTCE by Bridgette Gubernatis from the Brooklyn Education Center. It is a book of strategies for taking these tests (ATS-W, CST SWD, and CST Multi-Subject).
    That said I'm still struggling with the Math; it is such a huge gamut of possible topics that I know I can't possibly review everything. My current strategy is to work within Kahn Academy on 8th Grade math and hope that is enough refresher.

Do any of you have any test taking tips that you can share? I would so appreciate it!
    Thanks,
    Maureen

18. Merevaik

Merevaik Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

I took all three parts, passed Part1 and 3 and now I'm waiting for my Math results. I was studying for the Part 3 and found it absolutely useless, because there were nothing from what I've been studying. (Yes, I took all the books I could find in my public library that were supposed to help me to pass these tests). After that I did not study at all for English Arts and passed. I guess the best strategy would be to take a chance and use this opportunity to look at the real test, so you'll know what to expect. Unfortunately this shot is not free.

19. Mathdeficient

Mathdeficient New Member

Jul 19, 2015

Need Math Part 2

Hi everyone! I will be taking the multi subject math on Friday. I missed it the first time by only a few points and I am very nervous! I've been studying from the regents but do you think that's enough? Has anyone taken it recently enough to give some extra tips on what topics to review?

20. DanielleT

DanielleT Rookie

Jul 21, 2015

What level multi-subject are you taking? 1-6 or 7-12? If you are taking 7-12 8th grade will be not be enough - You need to study up until Calculus

21. Mike Sero

Mike Sero New Member

Dec 3, 2015

Any good books or resources to use for the part 2 math 7-12 CST? I failed the first exam by 17 points and desperately need a good textbook or study guide I can purchase to help me pass this fucking test.