NYS CST - Mult-Subject Early Childhood

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Ink, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Ink

Ink New Member

Jan 18, 2017

Hello All,

I am new to these boards. I have 18 credits in Early Childhood Birth to 2. However, I have given up because I failed the CST multi subject two time. I find it so stressful. Now I am thinking should I give it one more try. Usually I don't give up easily but I am a career changer and 52 years old. As well I am pretty tired from these exams. I passed the EAS and ALST got waived for a high GPA. I would also need to do the EDTPA and the Special Ed CST. Please give me some advise on whether I should continue or not. It has been such a struggle. I studied with the Kaplan and Deconstructing the NYSTCE. My total score was 198 and I only got a 140 on Math and 140 on constructed response.

Any advise would be welcome...Thank you!!!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2017

Hugs, Ink. I'll guess that math generally gives you grief. You might do well to hire a tutor.

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Jan 19, 2017

Aren't there safety net tests? Use them before they're gone! You may also want to, if possible, get a tutor or -- if still in school-- take some math classes to refresh the material.
    If you want to teach, and it's your passion: you HAVE to continue, you have no choice.
    If you don't, then no.
    I failed the EAS 3 times and even contemplated giving up, but I'm a teacher. It helped that I had people around me telling me to re- take it and that I'll pass it. I did. It seemed impossible but I did.
    Look at study guides and practice tests... work on your writing and study the areas of math that give you trouble and you'll do fine.

5. Ink

Ink New Member

Jan 19, 2017

Thank you both so much. I am just worried sick as I have spent so much money on this and wondering if I can ever pass. Having a very bad week

6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Jan 19, 2017

My friend is going to take it on January 28. She's certified 1-6, but there will be potential Kinder openings next year at the school she currently teaches at and since that's her passion, I urged her to sign up for it.