NYC teaching certification?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by aspiringlibrarian, Mar 14, 2017.

1. aspiringlibrarian

aspiringlibrarian Rookie

Mar 14, 2017

Hi everyone. I'm currently certified to teach English in the state I live in. I'm looking for jobs nearby. However, I'm a train ride away from NYC and would like to broaden my job prospects. I also just like the idea of teaching in the city.

Do you think it would be worth it to work towards my NYC cert.? I feel like it can't hurt. But at the side time, it'll cost money (nearly 2K) and time, and there's no guarantee I'd be able to land a job there. Is finding a job in the city generally more or less difficult?

Thanks for reading.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2017

Is a NYC cert different than a NY state license?

4. aspiringlibrarian

aspiringlibrarian Rookie

Mar 14, 2017

No, I believe they are the same.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2017

I'm in NJ. I would need to just take one additional course to be licensed in NY. I don't think it would cost me anywhere near $2000.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  6. aspiringlibrarian

aspiringlibrarian Rookie

Mar 15, 2017

I'm also in NJ. With my cert. (a CEAS in English), I'd have to take an additional test in my content area (not the Praxis), a test on pedagogy, and a test on literacy. I'd also have to take additional courses (3 I think?) on things like harassment and bullying. It's doable but costly. Maybe I'm mistaken and the NY state cert. is different from the NYC cert.?

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Mar 15, 2017

I don't know anything about a harassment and bullying course but maybe you mean a workshop? There are several that have to be taken and they cost around $75 each. I'm not sure why you think there's a separate NYC certification (I only see NYS listed on the education site) but when you go to the state education website you fill out your information and what certification you want to apply for, send in your transcripts, and they will send you a letter stating what additional courses you need and whatever else you need to do to get the state certification.

aspiringlibrarian and czacza like this.
  8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2017

I don't think there's a difference.

aspiringlibrarian likes this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Mar 15, 2017

I think for subbing there's something separate but not NYS teaching certification.

aspiringlibrarian likes this.
  10. aspiringlibrarian

aspiringlibrarian Rookie

Mar 15, 2017

I figured the NY state and NYC cert. were one and the same, but I considered that a possibility because another poster said they'd only need one additional course to obtain a NY license. And yes, I meant workshop. Oops! Thanks for the correction and for the helpful info. I guess I will send my transcripts, see exactly what I need to do, and then decide whether it's worth it to pursue the cert.

Do you think it would ultimately be worth the extra money and time, even though I'm not guaranteed a job in the city?

11. aspiringlibrarian

aspiringlibrarian Rookie

Mar 15, 2017

Ahh, OK. Thank you.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2017

Nothing is ever guaranteed. With another license however you will be able to cast a wider net in your job search

13. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 15, 2017

I would strongly suggest calling NYSUT before doing anything. They are extremely helpful and will steer you in the right direction as far as what paperwork to send in and what, if any, additional classes you will need.

14. jessucajose

jessucajose New Member

Mar 16, 2017

First of all I would like to all the best for your job seeking. I think that the NYC teaching certificate is not become a problem to you. If you want to know more about NYC and NY state certificate you can search with dissertation writing service

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Mar 16, 2017

Or not...

16. 4SquareRubric

4SquareRubric Rookie

Mar 16, 2017

It would be very, very rare to get a NYC certification. You would only need the NY state certification. NYC schools will start hiring by early June when they get their budgets for next year.