November 4th

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by corps2005, Oct 8, 2008.

1. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Oct 8, 2008

Okay, so I have a little issue here. We are to have a full inservice day on the 4th, Election Day. At the end of that day, I'm not going to be in any mood to wait hours outside of a polling booth. Quite frankly, I would just go home and not vote then. I'm thinking of taking off of work on the 3rd, since it's not a critical day. Why? So that I can get some things done, get to bed early, and wake up at 5 a.m. to go to the voting booths. Even though they don't open until 7, I've heard that this year to expect record breaking numbers of voters. Obviously, I do not want to be late for work, so I figured I'd go early. How many others would do this? Or am I the only one thinking this way? :whistle:

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Oct 8, 2008

I got an absentee ballot and have already voted by mail. I bet the lines will be long. Probably too late to do that now. But does your state have early voting? My state has early voting at certain places in about 2 weeks.

4. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Oct 8, 2008

Could you go on your lunch time? I bet mid day would be lighter. I will probably just pick my husband up and go after work, we have to work all day, so it makes no difference.

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 8, 2008

Aren't there some businesses that let their employees have time to vote?

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2008

If that is the only time you can vote, then I would most definitely take the 3rd off and vote early.

7. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Oct 8, 2008

Can you vote early??? (As in days early) A lot of county/city offices allow you to go in and vote early. I could go in tomorrow and vote here if I wanted to, but I'm voting absentee.

8. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 8, 2008

I went yesterday and voted Corps2005. I was in, filled out the form, went through the lines, voted, and out w/in about 20 minutes. You should be able to go on line to www.myfoxatlanta.com and go to the section "you decide 2008" there is a section in the middle that is called "Politics in Georgia" and if you wait a second it will scroll over a section called "find an early voting location in your neighborhood" which is a PDF file. It's divided by county.

9. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Oct 9, 2008

I just registered to vote last Saturday. :p I don't think they're going to have my paperwork to go vote early. :( I checked online a few minutes ago and they don't have my registration in the system yet. I'm hoping I don't run into trouble either because they might need my Naturalization certificate. I tried to tell the lady this when I register, but she didn't listen. See, every semester for Walden University, they always email me saying they can't process my financial aide unless I give them a copy of my Naturalization certificate. That's why I'm hoping there won't be a problem. Alas, no early voting for me as of yet. :(

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2008

What time will you get out of inservice? I usually go after work, around 3 or 3:30, and it's never that busy. I have never had to wait. I don't know what your area is like. Just don't NOT vote!

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2008

I am going to add here then, if you have never voted, I don't think it's going to be as long of a wait as you think. It usually only gets bad around 5 and usually stays busy until closing. As a teacher you should be able to make it earlier than that.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2008

As a teacher in a Catholic school, I work every election day. (Our schools aren't used as polling places, so there's no reason to close them.)

I vote every year, and for the school budget as well, on my way home from work. Since the general public gets out of work at 5 pm, I'm fine if I get there before then.

I've never waited more than about 5 minutes.

And, honestly, I think this is something worth waiting for. Think of the time you've spent on line in stores at Christmas time, or in line for concert tickets.

Isn't this as important?

13. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 9, 2008

I understand where corps is coming from. I didn't know about the lines here when I moved down here in fall 03 so I didn't know that they offered early voting. I waited. went right after school, and spent the next 3 hours in the rain waiting to vote. I voted though. Since then I have promised myself that I would vote early. When I went Tuesday like I posted earlier it was about 20 minutes. They said so far they had about 400 or so people (I went before lunch). They said on the Monday they had over 1000. My county isn't as big as Corps. Back home in Kentucky yeah I could go right after school and be in and out in under 5 minutes. That's the difference in being in a town of 2000 and a larger city.
    Good luck Corps. If you want to check on the status you might call your county election place and ask them how long that it will take before your information is posted on line since you really wanted to take advantage of the early voting due to your work schedule. They might be able to give you an idea. Like the others said, just make sure you do vote.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2008

REally? Hours long waits on line? I always buzz in and out...Our polls are open into the evening.

15. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

I think that inconvenience is a small price to pay for the right to vote in this crucial election year...make it work :)

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 9, 2008

I stood in line for an hour in the last presidential debate.... right behind my ex-fiance. THAT was akward and terrible. Luckily I brought a book, so I just burried my face and pretended not to notice him.... right in front of me.

But even that was worth it to vote. Bring a book, bring some grading, or just mediate on your candidate. And then hurry home to watch the numbers come in! I'm so glad I'm on the west coast this year-last election, I was up until 3:30am trying to watch the final count.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 9, 2008

I've never had to stand in line more than 30 minutes, and that was the year that they had changed to the computerized voting machines and so many people had trouble using them.

Our polls open at 6:00, and I stop in before I go to work. Most of the time we're off on election days anyway.

18. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Oct 9, 2008

I guess I'll probably take the Monday before it off, get up at 4:30 or 5 and head up there. Lines are ridiculous here. Today I had to simply renew my driver's license, nothing more, and I waited over 1.5 hours. I went after I got off of work at 3. I wasn't really anticipating a line at the DMV. How silly of me. P.S. I never wait in lines for Xmas shopping :p I always buy in advance or get a giftcard while I'm in the grocery store. Or I might just wait in line after work and take the next day off instead. That way, if the lines are as short as everyone says they are, I can always cancel my sub. :p

19. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 9, 2008

I'm in Fulton County...polling place is in Alpharetta...UGH! I am trying to go vote early...but not sure if I can get off in time to go...co-worker went and said she just walked right up and voted. Maybe I'll have the same luck.

20. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2008

My wife and I will vote for Palin-McCain by mail.... no waiting time required.......:):)

21. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 9, 2008

Scienceteacher,

It didn't take long here on Tuesday either. They said Monday (the registration deadline was a madhouse though). I highly recommend the early voting after having gone through both types.