Not ready to go back!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsWK, Jan 1, 2008.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 2, 2008

We have a high of 56 today, so while I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a snow day, I don't see it happening... LOL! :D

2. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Jan 2, 2008

You are so right,wldywall! But, I still am enjoying cuddling up here on the couch with my dog! I won't be so happy on President's Day when and if we have to make up a snow day. This is our 2nd of our 2 built in days.

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jan 2, 2008

We have 13 built in days. We use a couple for staff developement and the rest can be used for weather emergencies. I usually give up on snow days by the end of March
    but one year we finished using them up in May due to flooding.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2008

I don't want to go back tomorrow! How will I ever get up. I have been staying up really late, about 1 or 2 and really sleeping in. I'll never do it tomorrow. And to top it if off I have a meeting after school tomorrow for 3 hours.

5. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jan 2, 2008

WOOHOO! First day back and a snow day! I live in Ohio, but work in Kentucky. Some schools don't go back until Thursday or Monday, those that went today are closed, in the area of both states that I'm in.
    Our third full snow day for the year so far, we had 2 hour delay as well. I have been at the school two days during the break, we moved into brand new rooms and had to get the set up once the custodians moved our materials from downstairs to upstairs. I've still enjoyed a nice break 19th-2nd..er, now 3rd. Gotta love living in a "hilly" area with backwoods and "hollers"!

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2008

Oh how I love those days!
    But we need to have below zero high temps with wind to close.
    If there's wind, we might close with 6 inches of snow!

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 2, 2008

Now, I'm not afraid of snow in the least. I'm afraid of those steep, curvy roads with nothing between me in my car and falling into the river or over a rocky cliff! :eek:

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 2, 2008

Several times last year there was no school for snow and it was DRY at my house. I live right outside the city--if you can even call it a city--and all the snow was in the mountains & "hollers".

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2008

I remember the storm of the century back in 1992-3? We were living in Alabama at the time and got 26 inches of snow in a day and a half. Well we were prepared we are from MI, no one else was. The military went into full crisis mode, closed based, demanded everyone check in....we ended up with another family at our house (we lived off base) becuse they lost heat and power and we only lost cable. Hubbie went to walk to the only open store miles away for more food and when the military showed up to bring him to the base to use the moblie kitchen trailers to cook for the recruits, they sent a search and rescue team out for them. They made it a half a block before hubbie came walking in with a big smile. :D

The funniest thing I saw was the road commission people on the news as the storm started to hit and they were panicking wanting people off the roads. They had a pile of sand to the right and salt to the left and it mixed in between. The road guy said we can't salt down when it is so cold, it will only make more ice. We cannot use sand as it isn't effective in this kind of weather. So there is no way to make the roads safe. Well hubbie and I were SCREAMING at the TV that he was standing in the solution! You mix the two!!!!!

The next bright idea of the mlitary? Use road grading equiptment to plow the snow......they destroyed 1 million dollers worth of equiptment!

So Ima Teacher, please know being afraid of snow was only in jest, I know it is a lack of equiptment and experience, but this northerner will always think it is funny......sorry

10. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jan 2, 2008

I'm really, really jealous of those of you who had snow days! Last year, we "lucked out" because the 2nd was a federal "holiday" for Gerald Ford's funeral.

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2008

I don't want to go tomorrow!:down::(:down::(:down:

12. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jan 2, 2008

I'm off until Monday, thank goodness! This has been a very busy break for me.....my mom broke her ankle & I've been helping to take care of her. I am soooo glad to have a few more days off to (try and) rest. Don't hate me!!!

Meri

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 3, 2008

Today was our first day back. I really didn't want to get up this morning, but knowing I only had two days until the weekend really helped. Maybe easing back into things isn't such a bad idea.

14. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 3, 2008

I'm ready to go back... I have a ton of stuff to take to my room... I found out my VP will be going in tomorrow afternoon, so I'll get her to let me in, since I don't have keys.