Not giving zeroes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Sep 14, 2018

In the classroom I teach, absolutely. I know this is very much so against popular opinion. However, my class is a little different. Now, when I taught middle school and high school, I went with the popular opinion.

2. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Sep 14, 2018

I do grade tests, quizzes, and some class assignments for accuracy, but the grade (at the end of the marking period) is more likely a reflection of effort and some accuracy. Any grade lower than 65% is magically a 65% (for grade-promotion justification purposes).

3. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Sep 14, 2018

Hello, everyone,
    It has occurred to me that a few of you are not understanding my policies. I am sorry for the misconception.
    My assignment, grading, and promotion/retaining policies are a lot different than a lot of teachers on this platform. The classroom that I teach requires different policies that may be a bit unusual. These are mutually-agreed policies between the district and the special education teams/teachers. I do what I do to best benefit my particular students. I have been in many class settings/grades to be able to implement different policies.
    Thank you for reading this and allowing me to address a few misconceptions.

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 14, 2018

Why grade at all?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 14, 2018

I think we all understand what you are doing. We just don't agree with it.

You may have an agreement with your district and special education department, but it doesn't mean that it is the right thing to do.

I sure hope your progress reports for these students give an accurate reflection of how they are performing academically because your grades sure aren't. Something has to. I know even the IEP may not because of ways goals are written. If not, then how do you document the student's true performance and will these students end up with regular diplomas or a certificate of attendance? If the former, then it is fraud even if it is done to be kind.

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2018

These percentages don’t add up to 100%?

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Devotee

Sep 14, 2018

Whoops. Assessments are 55%.

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2018

Thank you for clarifying.

9. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:01 PM

I do give out assessments and use them for data collection. When it comes to grades, it is just a formality and is otherwise irrelevant to my classroom curriculum. Due to the structure of my classroom setting, I am required to use the GE curriculum (apart of the GE curriculum would be using a gradebook and weighted assignments). Hope this clarifies it.
    To answer your question about diplomas, I do not know. This is facilitated by the special education director in later grades for my students. Most likely, they will be expected to obtain a Regents Diploma.

I do apologize for any gaps in communication.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 12:08 PM