Not Getting Enough Subbing Jobs?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 3, 2010

Most of us are notified of jobs via automated system, but what do you do when you don't get enough jobs?

I've been doing only speech & RSP jobs mainly for a long time, but recently returned to doing K-3. I've emailed the lady in charge of subs a couple of times, but I don't want to seem pushy or annoying about hardly getting work. I've even emailed ALL the teachers in 28 schools (district has 32 total), so they could request me next time. I hate that the power is held by 1 person who determines the amts of our paychecks! :mad: What do you guys do?

3. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 3, 2010

If I were you (and judging from past posts, our situations are alike in a lot of ways), I would pay a visit to each school where I'm known/liked, and post a friendly letter/business card w/my picture somewhere incorporated, on the staff room bulletin board. And leave a card with the secretary too.

For me, I'm in two districts: one using aesop and one the old-school way. In the aesop district (which I happen to be getting called regularly lately), I've actually only worked one day this year. This is mainly because I always had work in the old-school district. But also, I'm not quite as well known in that district... but I think that if I did (do as above), I really do think I'd start to get more work. GL

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 3, 2010

I was a sub in another tiny district as well, but it's been so long since I subbed there, they couldn't just reset me in the system. They said they were on a hiring freeze since last yr. So I'm out of luck there.

Regarding the main large district I'm with, I'm very slowly working at more schools again that I haven't been to in ages, so when I go, I have some typed notes that I leave in the teacher's mailboxes.

John Lee, it's frustrating in these tough economic times. Us subs really have to hustle just to grab one assignment.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 3, 2010

I just contacted a 3rd district I haven't been at in ages. I'm seeing if I can be reinstated.

6. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Nov 3, 2010

I can't accept any sub assignments because of student teaching. Luckily, I still maintain contact with teachers at the school I regularly subbed at and they will be notified as soon as I'm available again.

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2010

Ms. I, have you considered teaching middle and/or high school? I started subbing about 5 years ago. Because I teach 4-5 grade, plus middle and high school I've always had more jobs than I wanted to do.....

Best of luck to you in finding more jobs......:):)

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 4, 2010

Thanks Major. :) No, I just don't want middle school or HS. The dist I sub for only goes up to 8th anyway. I will have worked all 5 days this wk (2 were at the speech clinic I'm at temporarily though). So far, I'm booked EVERY Th & EVERY Fri w/ jobs. Now I just need to fill up M, T, & W ea wk. (I'm still waiting to see if I can get that M-F long-term kinder job.)

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2010

How come you're doing regular ed now? I thought you were only doing speech assignments? I think it's good to do a little bit of everything, but I'm just curious what made you decide to go back to subbing general ed.

Oh, and when I subbed, I loved subbing for HS. It was usually a pretty easy day. I also, for the most part, really enjoyed middle school. I didn't think so, but every single assignment usually ended up being fun. I don't know why, but they seemed to really like me and respect me. I found that I HATED subbing at elementary schools. Heh....

When I was a sub, I was signed up to sub at 2 k-8 school districts, one high school district, and one alternative high school district (juvie, and two alternative high schools)<---- those were interesting days...

I worked every single day when I was a sub since I was signed up at so many schools. I was also constantly getting requests once my name got out that I wasn't an incompetent sub.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 4, 2010

Peachy, I've returned to doing K-3 because I've only been getting a regular 1 day a wk job for one of the SLPs & maybe I'll get a 2nd day here & there. Well, that's not cutting it these days. I need to work a LOT more. I've had a few big expenses to pay that is mkg it hard to keep up w/ my usual other bills. I've even contacted 2 other districts I haven't subbed atin eons...that means I'm really desperate. :D

I'm trying to get this home-based money receiving program off the ground because when it really takes off, I no longer have to be in the work force...again!