Not getting along with forum culture, apparently

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & FAQ' started by Kenz501, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Kenz501

Kenz501 Comrade

Mar 4, 2018

Hi again.

I've posted a few questions about issues I've been having with teaching positions, and teaching in general, and it seems like some, and apparently the moderators, do not believe my posts are appropriate. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I've seen other people post their problems, concerns, and complaints about the profession on this forum, and the responses were not so tongue in cheek.

I did not mean to offend anyone on this forum. I was just feeling really frustrated, and I was hoping I could get some workable advice from people on the forum. Instead, it seems like my threads are frequently shut down, and it doesn't seem like they are closed due to my responses but perhaps instead to people who dismiss my claims as some sort of joke. I do not think this is fair, and I would like to prevent it from happening in the future. If the topics I've raised were inappropriate, please let me know which rules I overlooked.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2018

Your claims aren't jokes. It seems, however, that you aren't taking advice seriously. Which seems to be leading to a second verse same as the first sort of situation Take advice or not, learn from experience or not..this is becoming tiresome

nstructor, futuremathsprof and a2z like this.
  4. Kenz501

Kenz501 Comrade

Mar 4, 2018

I guess asking people to message me instead of posting in the public forum is a possible way around the problems I've had? That way, everyone isn't free to comment on everything I say.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2018

These are forums. Public forums. If you have a specific question for a specific member, message that person. Otherwise you are going to get feedback from the membership at large

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2018

I think it is because you keep starting threads about the same thing and blaming everyone else for your problems instead of self-reflecting and trying to improve. You know, most teaching credential programs include at least one course on being self-reflective of your teaching practices and ways in which you can improve them after doing said reflection.

Stop. Making. Excuses. And. Listen. To. Our. Advice. Most of us are veteran teachers and know a thing or two about education...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2018

I feel the same as these other folks. I don't think the questions are inappropriate, but it gets frustrating to see that you are ignoring virtually all the good and relevant advice you have asked for. You're not obligated to accept anyone's advice, of course. But why do you keep asking for it? Many people here have given very clear, explicit, step-by-step instructions and suggestions to you. Instead of trying one or two things, it seems like you just keep reiterating your shortcomings or the fact that your school didn't prepare you or whatever else. If you want to move forward, do it.

Been There and futuremathsprof like this.
  8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 5, 2018

I replied to your last closed thread and referred you to a discussion board for people with ASD. Please check there and see if they can understand your needs better than we can.

9. Kenz501

Kenz501 Comrade

Mar 5, 2018

I guess I'll take a look, but why was that one closed, too? Wasn't the topic appropriate?

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 5, 2018

It dragged along, people gave very similar responses, and you didn't seem to find any that you could use, and it was repetitive. That's why I think the ASD forum might be more to your liking and needs.

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2018

I have been coming to this public forum for 13 years now (wow didn't realize that until I looked) I will be honest, I haven't read but one of the OP posts. Having said that I find it very difficult to post things here without being ridiculed and non supported. Most of the time I come here to vent and I am just looking for an "I feel your pain" but I get "well why can't you do things differently" or "you should have known better" and sometimes I even feel attacked. I know what you are thinking why do you stay if you don't like the place? I stay because only you guys can understand how I feel. You are the ones down in the trenches with me. My husband isn't, my kids (well one can she is a teacher too) can't relate. I got lots of good advice and ideas from here when I was searching for a job all those years ago. At one time this forum was my sanity saver. Why can't we all just go back to being supportive to everyone even if they asked the same questions over and over again. We answer our students and parents, even when they ask us the silliest or most time consuming questions. Let's get back to being a supportive forum, not one that breaks the spirit of a new teacher or a struggling teacher, or even a veteran teacher who needs to vent! Just my opinion!!!!

12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2018

:heart:

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2018

There's a difference between being supportive and being enabling.

14. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2018

There is also a difference between being enabling and being down right mean and shaming others which I feel some of you have done in this post. Again just be a little sympathetic to some one who needs some support. Just because you are a strong person and may be able to handle all that life has thrown at you there are some who can’t.

MissCeliaB and Been There like this.
  15. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Mar 8, 2018

@txmomteacher2
    Perhaps you should go read the other threads that OP started before you jump to conclusions

czacza, nstructor and futuremathsprof like this.
  16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2018

:yeahthat:

czacza and ChildWhisperer like this.
  17. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2018

Don't read a few, read them all. Many were often running at the same time. The amount of help and advice offered was considerable,, but OP always came back to "why won't they train me?" Lots of excuses, and virtually no changes. Lots of support offered, even to referral to a forum that deals with individuals who are identified as ASD.

There are two sides to every story, and many of the forum members who have posted in the past no longer open OP's threads. No one assumes that they have all the answers, but when it feels like you are talking to a brick wall, it is hard to be encouraging.