Not excited for school this year...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lei286, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Lei286

Lei286 Rookie

Jul 18, 2018

Maybe I'm in a total funk....or maybe my last year completely drained me emotionally and diminished my confidence, but I am NOT looking forward to heading back to school this year. At all. In fact, I get downright depressed with the thought of having to start curriculum planning and all the back to school stuff. I have more students than last year, more behavior issues (though they are less major than the problems I experienced last year), and more pressure.

I'm already getting overwhelmed with all the upcoming events and holidays that will be taking place in the first few months of school, and we're not even out of July yet! I want to enjoy my summer as much as possible, but I know that I'm going to regret not planning more come September. But at the same time, I don't even know where to start! I'm so afraid that I will have a repeat of last year if I don't do it right, and I'm getting anxiety.

Any thoughts on how to shake this feeling? I do love teaching (I can't imagine doing anything else), but I'm just not feeling it this year.

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 18, 2018

I get where you are coming from. Part of me is gearing up to go back to school, but it's not what it has been. I think part of it is I am appreciating being home with my girls more, and it's not what it was last year where I was all-out dreading going back (which in retrospect may have been a red flag because it was an awful year).

I love teaching, but I also wonder if perhaps I'm readying for a career change.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 18, 2018

I was just telling my family today the same thing. I'm bummed out about it. Usually I have some excitement about going back but it's not there for me this year. I'm still burned out from last year - the testing, the behavior, the curriculum demands. Especially the testing.

For me, I'm trying to not think about school as much as possible until we go back. It's good to take a break from thinking about teaching. Also, I'll be working towards simplifying procedures and grading so I'm not making things unintentionally more complicated as the year starts.

Backroads likes this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 18, 2018

This is what I was going to suggest. It sounds like you need a real break to recharge, and continuing to plan and stress throughout the summer isn't going to achieve that. I honestly think taking a break will serve you better stress wise than trying to "get ahead" for next school year.

6. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Jul 19, 2018

I'm having a similar feeling and this past year was by far my easiest group of kids so I can't say they drained me physically or emotionally. I feel it might be because my teaching battery gets recharged when I see my students getting excited about learning and this just did not happen very often last year so the year wasn't fulfilling for me and my battery remains low. The year before that I had a tough group with a lot of behaviors, but they all got very excited by the curriculum so I enjoyed teaching them a lot more. I'm hoping that is what explains it for me, but I also wonder going into my 5th year if this is all starting to become routine and repetitive for me and I need to take on a new grade or new career path. I hope it's the former and I get a more curious bunch this year because I'm not yet ready to switch grades. I usually enjoy the anticipation of an upcoming school year and getting things ready, but not this time around. I can't bring myself to do anything work related.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2018

I agree with not thinking about school until you need to. I have a lengthy school-related summer to-do list that I created in May. I haven't touched it yet. I officially go back to work three weeks from yesterday and, unofficially, sooner. Try to rest, relax, exercise, hang out with friends and family, watch tv, read a book for fun - whatever you have to do to get you mind off of school. Don't think about it until you need to.

8. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jul 19, 2018

I'm currently in the I-can't-wait-to-start-teaching phase since I'm student teaching in the fall. I'm curious if most teachers get the "seven year itch" after however many years? Are there ways to avoid it? Does the dread of summer ending fade as the excitement of the new school year is in full swing?

Lei, I hope you are able to relax and recharge before the school year starts. :)

Tnteacher2 likes this.
  9. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 19, 2018

Relax... I am coming off a great year, but I already know that next year will be extremely challenging. Therefore, I am taking the summer to take care of myself and my family. I will start getting back into the school mode in mid to late August, but until then, I am working to recharge.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2018

I don't know that there is really a "seven year itch". I think it varies by teacher... I've had a fourth year itch, a fifth year itch, a sixth year itch, and an eighth year itch. Truthfully, I think we all go through some sort of cycle throughout the year. Here are a few articles or blog posts that all reference the same cycle. I wasn't aware that this cycle was a "thing" when I first started teaching, but my experience has definitely mirrored this cycle nearly every single one of my eight years of teaching. I think it helps to know that it's coming... So don't let it worry you, but go into your first year with a sense of awareness, and know that what you'll experience is totally normal.

http://weac.org/articles/new-teacher-handbook/phases/
    http://alwaysalesson.com/blog/the-teacher-emotional-cycle-with-coaching/
    http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/co...8/the_first-year_teaching_roller_coaster.html
    https://www.matthewboomhower.com/home/the-emotional-stages-of-a-teachers-career

Backroads, otterpop and txbelle like this.
  11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jul 19, 2018

The beginning of a day, week, project, a school year, or anything can be really rough. Many authors who love to write say how they hate beginning a new book. So dreading beginning a new school year might be something emotionally difficult--I get it.

I would list 3 things you really like about teaching and 3 things you don't. I find focusing on what I really enjoy helps. They might be things such as being able to have the classroom decorated the way you want. Being able to do a favorite project with the students, inspiring the students, connecting with students, working with a favorite teacher at school, or some other thing.

For curriculum planning, I find that when I can have a cup of coffee and sit and reflect and dream of great lessons that fit with curriculum that helps. There is another teacher that inspires me that I also plan with. Some other teachers I avoid because they bring me down.

I try to let the things I love about teaching fill me with the energy I need to deal with the things that I don't enjoy about teaching. Then I have the energy to make teaching enjoyable for the students and myself.

12. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 19, 2018

I worked in low-performing school districts for most of my career where what you describe was pretty much the norm. The stress of having to deal with challenging students, inept administrators, textbooks that don't address students' academic needs and unrealistic administrative demands that have no relevance to student achievement can take a heavy toll on teachers. These same factors that all contribute to teacher burn-out are what cause low-performing districts to remain low-performing.

My strategy for countering my waning excitement and enthusiasm for teaching was to focus on ways to energize my students to want to learn. I worked on finding a way to restore my underachieving students' curiosity and sense of purpose. In the end, it was my success in bridging the gap between theory and practice and use of technology that saved the day! Fortunately for me, my administrators who were appeased with the occasional dog and pony show, didn't really care what we did in the classroom - this was my green light to experiment and innovate new methods for instruction which resulted in a win-win situation!

readingrules12 likes this.
  13. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jul 19, 2018

These were really great articles! Thanks for sharing. I really liked the last one and his humorous writing style. I too aim to be "champion teacher of the world" haha...in reality, I will totally settle for being one of the good ones. :D

bella84 likes this.
  14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jul 19, 2018

I'm entering my 7th year, but I ask to teach a new course every 2-3 years so it remains fresh and exciting. For those of you who feel worn, perhaps a change of course (for HS) or grade level (for elementary) may be what some of you are looking for to reinvorgate your love of teaching?

txbelle and bella84 like this.
  15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2018

That, or even changing schools altogether.

Backroads likes this.
  16. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 19, 2018

Anything is worth trying, if you dread going to work.