Nook or Kindle??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, May 27, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2011

I browsed through this thread again and a few people mentioned getting free books by liking certain pages on facebook. Can you guys share what pages they were?

2. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2011

Definitely like "nook". They have Free Friday selections from Barnes & Noble. Often they are quite good.

Also like "Cheap e-Reads" but be prepared for LOTS of posts from them on your homepage. I use a program called Better Face Book that filters my news feed posts automatically into different tabs, so I made a tab for anything posted by Cheap e-Reads.

To find free nookbooks from Barnes and Noble, go to their website and type in "0.00" and search for nookbooks. You'll find tons of free stuff. Some books are better than others, but lots of them are good.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2011

Thanks, I've liked Chap e-reads and Nook, and I joined Smashwords and Kobo. So, I am on my way! :)

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 9, 2011

I've liked Amazon Kindle, Pixel of Ink, Smashwords.

All of my books are free!

5. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 9, 2011

6. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 9, 2011

I love my kindle! But books for it are rather expensive. I have to say it is so much more convenient to carry that around then a bunch of books.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 10, 2011

I find this thread interesting, but I am too picky and too cheap to buy the books I want. Right now, I am reading a lot of the books that are turning into movies (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Something Borrowed, the Help etc.) I am assuming those aren't free. Or am I wrong?

On another note, (and this is for a graduate class project regarding what handheld technology device we would purchase for a school library) would you recommend a tablet pc or a nook color (or something else) for classroom use? I figure color would be the way to go with young kids, but if its color it doesn't have e-ink so why not go with a tablet PC? I suppose this is also a debate for an adult intested in reading magazines etc. in color.

I found the well-rated Asus Eee Transformer for $400 (tablet PC android-based). The color nook is obviously cheaper, but with so much added in features why wouldn't you want a tablet over a color eReader? I'm wondering if I am missing something. Can anyone shed light?

8. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 10, 2011

I think a Kindle would be better for a library setting because it is more like a traditional book. Easier on the eyes.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2011

My husband likes his Nook much better than his tablet and now rarely uses his tablet. He gets his email, the news, magazines, plays games, etc. all on the Nook. He says the battery lasts longer, too.

10. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jan 14, 2013

I am glad I found this thread...

Here is my dilemma. I have an old school Kindle (black and white w/o ads) that I rarely use only because I have SO many books that I need to read first. I have used it for a few books that were either HUGE novels that I didn't want to lug around or simply because e-books were pre-purchased for me that I will eventually get around to reading (the Kindle was a gift btw).

Through my school I won an iPad and most recently a Nook. I know the iPad has e-book apps or something along those lines after reading some of these posts. I was on the fence about trading in the Nook for store credit and using some B&N gift cards I have to purchase a Kindle Fire HD, but now I think I am just getting caught up in having the cool gadget.

I am wondering if I should just get store credit for the Nook and look into some of the e-reader apps available for my iPad? I have no idea what I would do with so much money to B&N, but I am sure I could find a way to burn through it :)

Maybe it wasn't a good idea finding this thread because now I am at even more of a loss...ha!

11. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jan 14, 2013

That's what I am thinking!

Also, I am not very tech-savvy. It was only a year ago that I got my first Smartphone and I still don't even use any of the apps I downloaded.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 15, 2013

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend using the iPad to read, as it has a non-eInk screen, which I vastly prefer for reading books.

I'd say trade in the nook, read on your kindle, and incorporate the iPad into your teaching

13. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jan 15, 2013

I just started using the iPad in my small groups and tutoring and the kids love it. I had to wait to buy a protective case and screen protector for it and even then I make them use hand sanitizer. I am a bit of a germaphobe!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 15, 2013

I'll be getting an iPad issued to me on the job sometime in Feb, so I'm excited to learn all about it. By the way, I still haven't used my Nook that I got myself for Christmas, 2011...no tiime for leisure reading.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

I will read magazines on my iPad, but certainly not entire books. I did that once but only out of necessity. I do my e-reading on a Kindle.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 15, 2013

Oh, forgot to post my question...where does a person trade in their Nook?

17. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jan 15, 2013

You can return the Nook to Barnes and Noble for store credit if it's unopened. At least that's what I am thinking of doing with mine.

Although, if I return it I will have over $200 in Barnes and Noble gift cards and in-store credit...not sure what to do with that!

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

PM me for my mailing address. :p

19. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 16, 2013

Could sell it on amazon.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 16, 2013

Thanks guys. I better decide what to do pretty soon. The HD version has already come out. Any other ieas on what to do with a practically brand new Nook?