Nook or Kindle??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, May 27, 2011.

1. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 27, 2011

I love my Kindle. I tried both the Nook and the Kindle and to me, the Kindle was significantly lighter. Although, maybe that has changed since I got it.

2. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 27, 2011

Wow, such great advice! I knew free books were available but I didn't realize how many places have them. How exciting!!

Still leaning towards the newest Nook. This is a present to me for surviving another year and no longer being Initially Licensed (put in my 3 years :))

The Nook I want comes out on June 10th, our last day of school...:lol: I plan to head right to B&N and splurge!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 27, 2011

:dizzy:

This thread isn't helping me!! :p I'm still very confused. Which one is the Barnes and Nobles one again? And which one is the Amazon one? Didn't Amazon delete one of its books and many people were annoyed because they paid for it and now didn't have access to the book anymore?

Can someone make like a venn diagram? :D

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 27, 2011

I love books (physical, real books!) and was rather opposed to this whole idea, but I received the Kindle as a gift and I actually enjoy it. I think had I bought an e-reader I would have chosen the Nook for the touchscreen, but I appreciated the gift. :)

I have the newest, cheapest version and there are ads whenever the screen is off (who cares?), and a small banner ad at the very bottom of the homepage (again, who cares?).

I think it's nice that I can check my Facebook if I want to while taking a break from reading, and I honestly don't get annoyed by browsing the Internet in black and white. I'm somewhat techy, but I can do it "old school" as well. :p That said, many sites rely on flash which you can't really use with a Kindle. But I don't need to be fully connected at all times.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 27, 2011

I got my Kindle for Mother's Day & I love it! I've "liked" several different pages on fb & have downloaded many free books.

I have the version with the ads & I don't notice them.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 27, 2011

Peachy, the Nook is with Barnes and Noble and the Kindle is with Amazon.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 28, 2011

I just bought a Nook Color. The battery doesn't last as long but I though it would be nice to see magazines and kids books in color - or the internet. I am reading my first book but haven't done much else yet. I bought a cover that isn't pretty (darn it) but sets up like a tripod and I am enjoying being able to sit it up on he arm of the couch or the table to read without holding it. I think I would like to go to the lessons they have at the store cause everything isn't intuitive to me - and ready a whole manual isn't happening.

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 28, 2011

I don't like the idea of the Nook color...I can't imagine reading books on a real screen. I remember when Kindles first came out, I thought the concept was stupid. Who wants to read a book on a screen? My eyes!! But then I saw the first e-ink book and I was hooked. I'm so glad they're affordable now :)

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 28, 2011

I've got to admit, I'm eating my words.

I always swore that I would never get an ereader--- I hate reading even long posts here that aren't broken up into paragraphs.

But I've pretty much stolen the Kindle I got for Peter for Christmas. I LOVE always having something to read, and the screen reads just like an actual book.

If he wants one for the summer, I'll be happy to get him a replacement. (It's a good thing I also got him a GPS, which he loves. Otherwise I might feel a little guilty about stealing the gift I got him : ) )

As to color, I tend to read books as opposed to magazines, so it's a non-issue.

10. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 28, 2011

I'm still not convinced. As much as I'm willing to try new technology, this one somehow it's not getting to me yet. Can you really enjoy reading from a screen more than from a real book?

I'm pretty sure that once I get to try it I will be addicted to it just like I am to my smart phone. I don't think I'm really to give up my books yet.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 28, 2011

Marci, I was like you. I swore I would never want to read off one. I love books, I have hundreds of them. I love the feel, the smell, just hodling and turning the pages. My parents got me the Kindle without me knowing about it. (I really thought the set of Paula Deen pans I had wrapped "for Mama" was really for me.) I have LOVED my Kindle, though. I can pack it in my purse easily and read everywhere. I was hooked the night that I realized I had left my couple of Because of Winn Dixie at school and I was able to pull it up on the Kindle in less than a minute. I still pick up books that I have and read them, but I have read dozens on the Kindle since getting it for Christmas.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 28, 2011

Marci, I felt the same way. I resisted for awhile, thinking I would never want to give up my "real book" feel. All I can say is this: I don't know a *single* person who regrets their decision to get an eReader. The vast majority of my friends (all avid readers to begin with) actually admit to reading MORE now than they did before. I even balk at "real books" now. If it's not in epub format, I won't buy it!

It's NOTHING like the apps on the smart phone or iPad (well, the Nook Color is, but not the others). It looks like a book page! You get spoiled by its light weight and its portability. I can't say enough good about this technology.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 28, 2011

Another plus, you can hold it in one hand and turn the page! I had a friend in high school who could do that with a real book, but my fingers are too short, but with the Kindle, I can snuggle up at night and just use one hand for reading, or sitting outside, or (and this is the cat's favorite) one hand for reading and one free for scratching her. It's just so easy!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 28, 2011

Marci, if there's a Target (or a Staples) near you, go and take a look at the Kindle display. I'm guessing it will convince you. It's what got me seriously thinking about it. The screen on the Kindle was nothing like a computer screen; it really did look like a book.

One feature I love is that every time I open it up, it returns me to where I left off-- no bookmarks or anything needed.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 28, 2011

:yeahthat:

I was concerned too, by not having a "real" book in my hands. But I love my Kindle!

I was also worried about being able to buy all of these books. I've had my Kindle for about 2 weeks now & I have downloaded probably 50 books. . . all free!

By the end of the year, they are saying that I'll be able to check books out from the library on my Kindle (that is if I have a library card, my town's library is closing)

I will still read "real" books, when I'm floating in my pool. I'm also not planning on taking it with me when I go to the beach, worried about sand. I'm also not taking it to the public pool, only because I'm worried about someone taking it.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 28, 2011

Another thing that's so great about e-readers is that you can be in the middle of a couple of books at once and not have to carry around a whole stack of books. I am usually in the middle of two or three books at any given time. They're usually in different genres and I just read one or the other according to my mood at the moment. Or on a long trip, if I'm not sure whether I'll be in the mood for a thriller or a comedy or whatever....Now I don't have to pack a bunch of books! An e-reader lets you download hundreds, maybe thousands, of books, and it's super easy to switch from one to another.

I have just over 400 nookbooks. All but three of them were completely, legally free. The three I paid for were the Hunger Games series, and each book only cost between $5 and $8.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 28, 2011

Can you read these in the dark? Is there a back light that you can turn on?

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 28, 2011

Only the nookColor is backlit. The screen looks just like an iPad or a large cell phone.

The others have e-ink. They look like a regular book page, no lighting whatsoever.

19. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

May 28, 2011

I bought the leather case with the light for my Kindle. It was like $60 on Amazon but well worth it! You can probably find them cheaper on ebay.

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 28, 2011

I bought a cover as well. It's a small light and it fits perfectly in the case. The plus is that the case protects the Kindle when I travel with it.