Non-stop TALKING!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by clld2tch, Sep 19, 2009.

1. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

Hi everyone,

We just finished our second week of school and I'm having MAJOR trouble getting my kinders to STOP TALKING while I'm trying to teach. I know that it's only the 2nd week and they are still adjusting, but I stressed it SO much during the first week. They can tell me the rule and why we have it but they won't follow it! I just don't know what to do! Reading in the morning goes okay but math is the WORST! I guess it's difficult because usually with projects, I give them directions and let them go, not really minding if they chat while they work. Math is different. I HAVE to give directions for every problem 1 at a time.
    I'm sorry for being so long but I'm starting to think I'm the problem. My 2ng grade class last year had a huge talking problem. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong! None of the other K classes seem this way. Please help!!!:help:

3. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 20, 2009

What are your consequences for talking during class? I know some have stop light where they move their car.

Maybe give them an incentive if they can be quiet during math and class time they could earn so much extra free time or you could take some away for talking during class time. Then on Friday they get that earned time to do puzzles or free choice centers or an extra recess. Give them something to work for. Just a suggestion.

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2009

My kids talk a lot too. One thing that works is that I give a quiet student or the quietest table a sticker- I'll just say- "Wow, table 3 is working so nicely, I think they deserve a sticker"...then I hear the others whispering "Shh, don't you want a sticker too?"... :)

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 20, 2009

I just started something new this year and it works SOOOO well! Each table contains a shape, and I have a poster at the front of the room with matching shapes. I laminated the poster and when a table is quiet I give them a tally mark with a dry-erase marker. At the end of the week, the table with the most marks gets a prize. I cannot believe how quiet they are while working at their tables. Also, I like how it focuses on GOOD behavior. The loud tables aren't punished at all, but the quietest table is rewarded.

6. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 20, 2009

I love that idea. How often do you change the people sitting at the tables? The only thing I would be afraid of is the one or two students that would ruin it for their table every time, but if you switch weekly or every other week, everyone would get chance for a prize.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 20, 2009

I switch tables once a month, or as-needed. I also have a behavior folder for individual students, and one of the expectations is "I will always do my best, and not bother others, so that they can do their best." So, if an entire table is being quiet except for one or two children, I will have them write in their folders. This usually makes the behavior stop.

If the behavior continues, I move the child that is having problems to another table (the writing center, my group-time table, etc.). Then, that table is usually quiet and the child that was having problems is quiet.

8. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Sep 20, 2009

Thanks everyone. I do have something similar to the stoplight system. I've also done stickers and pointed out correct behavior. I like the table points idea. It's similar to something I tried it last year with 2nd grade. I gave a teamwork award to the table who worked together the best. I bought some seashells to go with my under the sea theme. Maybe I could just give one to a table whenever they are quiet and award the table with the most shells a prize or first choice for centers. What do you think?

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 21, 2009

I think that sounds like a neat idea! Maybe they could have a little dish or jar at there table that you just drop a shell into?

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2009

I don't know if it would work with K, but your idea reminded me of something... when I was subbing many years ago in a 2nd grade class, the teacher had a little award that was kind of like a trophy, and the quietest table got the trophy in the middle...if they were being too loud, she would just pick it up and move it to a different table. It was funny because they didn't earn anything but the trophy, but they all wanted it on their table so much!! :)

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2009

oooh, that's a good idea!!! I like it. :)

12. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Sep 22, 2009

I like this too!:) I'm going to have to figure out what kind of trophy I can come up with. I saw a custodian paint a trashcan gold and mount it to a wood slab and the cleanest class for the week got the gold trashcan outside their classroom! This was a HUGE ordeal and really helped the children keep the rooms clean! It's funny what they'll do for a trophy...even if it's a traveling one!:)

13. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Sep 22, 2009

I had to laugh out loud when I read this!!! A gold garbage can trophy! :toofunny: So creative!

14. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Sep 24, 2009

I do the same thing w/table points as Driving Pigeon, but instead of a prize, my winning table keeps a trophy I have on their table the whole next week. They love it! I have a fish-themed room and its a small fishing trophy with a big-mouth bass on the top. I had it engraved with "Mrs.Z's Spirit of the Sea" and that the title above my table points poster.

15. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 25, 2009

I just tried this idea with my second grade, using a stuffed duck. I explained that the duck is very shy and doesn't like to be touched, and only likes to sit at the quietest table.

People are working very hard to get the duck at their table. Thanks for the idea.

16. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Sep 25, 2009

These are great ideas. I love the tally marks. It will also help with counting by 5's!