Non renewed

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by krlynn457, May 1, 2019.

1. krlynn457

krlynn457 Rookie

May 1, 2019

I just started a job listed as “tenure track” a week ago. The teacher resigned. I was called down and the superintendent and principal gave me a non renewal letter. He said because I just started they never were able to evaluate me, and as a formality I am non renewed. He said it’s nothing I did.

Why go through the trouble of interviewing me 3 times, waiting 30 days for me to start, and reassuring me that this is tenure track and not just a maternity leave. Why not just hire a long term sub??

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 1, 2019

Are they letting you reapply?

4. Aces

Aces Habitué

May 2, 2019

Like swan suggested, is it possible to reapply? It's possible that they hired you with the intent of providing an eval, getting your foot in the door type deal and then circumstances changed. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes with the admin team both internally and externally (such as from the district) which happens after the fact that can changes that were previously decided. It could be that while they were set to get you on track, the district came back and said nope can't do it.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 2, 2019

That's ridiculous. Something like that sounds like they have someone in mind they want to put in that spot. It's not you, it's them.

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 2, 2019

I don’t understand how they can hire you and within a very short time span non-renew you. This is deeply troubling and should not be allowed.

krlynn457 likes this.
  7. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

May 18, 2019

I'm confused on why they just didn't get a long term sub for the remainer of the year. You were hired in April? That's rare. January yes, April? No. That's no time to evaluate you and they should have told you that. OR they should have made a special circumstance because you were so late of a hire.

I'd contact your state educational department since the superintendent was involved too.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 18, 2019

I had a similar situation. I was hired in March and ended the year for a teacher who took a leave for medical reasons. I was pink-slipped, but then was able to interview for the job when it posted. I was their only interview, and I got the job.