Non renewal advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by talknteach, Mar 2, 2019.

1. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Mar 2, 2019

Hello! I am extremely bummed that in my third year as a probationary teacher (all teachers in my district have a three yr probation) my school enrollment is down and my principal had to cut my job. I am back on the job market AGAIN. I am crafting a cover letter. Should I mention that I am applying for jobs because of a non renewal as a probationary teacher due to low enrollment? Or should I say my position was terminated due to low enrollment? Or should I not mention it at all and leave them wondering why I am leaving my current job in the district? All my evaluations are excellent.

Thanks!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Mar 2, 2019

First and most important question - will your current employer give a glowing letter of recommendation that basically says that had the enrollment numbers warranted keeping all jobs, you would have been rehired? If so, I would not resign, since that will make you ineligible for unemployment payments in most states. Furthermore, virtually all employment applications ask if you resigned to avoid a non-renewal, so if you lie, and get caught, it can't look good. I believe that in a case like yours, I would take my chances, with the glowing recommendation in hand, and simply say that your contract wasn't renewed due to decline in enrollment. This clearly indicates that you understand that not all non-renewals are created equal, or say the same thing about the teacher.

4. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Mar 2, 2019

I would say that your position was eliminated due to low enrollment. Also, get positive letters of recommendation from administrators and your department chair (if applicable).

otterpop and futuremathsprof like this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 2, 2019

I wouldn't say anything in the cover letter, and I agree with the pp that you need to make sure you have good letters of rec from admin and others at your current school. I also wouldn't indicate that you've been non-renewed on your application- to me, a non-renewal is always for performance and is not the same as your position being cut. In my area, that would be a RIF (reduction in force). At least around here, checking "yes" to those non-renewal questions on the application would get you automatically put in the "no" pile with most admins not even bothering to look for an explanation. On the application where it asks why you're leaving your current school, I would put "position eliminated due to budget cuts."

vickilyn likes this.
  6. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Mar 2, 2019

That was the exact term I was looking for - on the tip of the tongue, but I couldn't remember it. Thank you! If you are RIF'd, you get the unemployment benefits while looking for a job, you don't have to claim you were non-renewed - simply write RIF'd when it asks why you are looking for a new job, Still don't resign, since that will prevent you from collecting unemployment benefits, and the only one who benefits from your resignation is the district - how much they pay to provide unemployment insurance is based on how often benefits are payed out, just like all other forms of insurance. The more claims, the higher the premiums.

Let me also recommend that you get your glowing LOR's ASAP. There is something about out of sight = out of mind, and the longer it goes from the day to day contact you shared with supervisors, other teachers, the less likely those people are to actually write a LOR. Best practice is to have LOR's in hand before the end of the school year. "Next week, when finals are over" may sound logical, but it is procrastination, and will cause you problems later.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    otterpop likes this.