Non-American Math teacher candidate

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Apaasn, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Apaasn

Apaasn Rookie

Jul 6, 2015

Thank you! Some of my colleagues got called and interviewed within a week of applying. They were not math teacher candidates. I applied somewhere in the middle of June and I still haven't gotten any calls or even a notification from edjoin that the position is filled.
    Should I email the principals my resume and cover letter or should I just wait? Some of the positions I applied says 'district viewed' in edjoin but I haven't gotten a call from them. How long did it take for you to get a call?

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2015

Are your 'colleagues' experienced teachers with license in hand? I do think your lack of completed certification is a major stumbling block.

3. Apaasn

Apaasn Rookie

Jul 6, 2015

One of them is a dentist turned high school science teacher with no teaching experience and the other one is a English high school teacher with no teaching experience but has subbing experience. I did write to the districts I applied asking them if my application will be considered and that I have applied for my credential and I should get it within 3 weeks. Nobody has replied to my email, so I am feeling anxious at the lack of response. I guess I have done everything from my side except mail the principals directly which I am not sure if I should. Also I am not sure if this is all normal and it takes this long to get a call.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 6, 2015

In some districts everyone takes off and offices are closed for part of June, or July, or the whole month of July.

5. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jul 6, 2015

There is no harm in trying to email principals, In fact I believe I recently got calls because of emails I did after officially applying. Edjoin will not tell you if a job is filled. When it says that it was viewed that could mean someone in HR who is screening or an actual principal. Eventually it will archive but that's it. There is still time but it is slow. I'm not math, but things are getting better (I did two interviews, offer on the second and called 4 times since).

6. Apaasn

Apaasn Rookie

Jul 8, 2015

I got a call from the principal's office where I student taught. They called me in for an interview on Monday!! I am so excited. Maybe that principal changed her mind and decided to give me a chance or maybe my master teacher who is the department chair pushed her to interview me.Either way, I am thrilled to be given the opportunity. They also said they are interviewing other candidates for the same position that same day.
    I would appreciate any advice from you guys, I have to prepare a 10 min lesson on common core 8th grade math. Any ideas? The interview is 20 min long.

7. Apaasn

Apaasn Rookie

Jul 8, 2015

Topics that I am comfortable with are

Slope and linear equations
    Statistics- bi variate data and line of best fit. But this topic is too difficult to explain in ten min especially to non- math people.
    Exponents
    System of equations
    Volume of cone, cylinder and sphere

Have any of you given a ten min lesson? I have never seen or given a demo lesson. Appreciate any suggestions.
    My guess is that I introduce the topic and the goals. Teach for a few min, then assign group work and closure? The only topic I can bring some manipulatives is the volume one, should I pick that? Please help me!

8. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 8, 2015

Three possibilities come to mind. (Most adapted from CPM lessons)

1. Using pythagorean theorem to determine longest straight object that can fit into a box. Hands on activity, requires shoe boxes and calculators.

2. Describe transformations that move an object. Needs graph paper and manipulative to model the moves.

3. Look for associations between bivariate data. Probably want to use numerical not categorical. Maybe cost of used car/number of miles on odometer?

9. Apaasn

Apaasn Rookie

Jul 8, 2015

Pythagorean theorem sounds good out of the lot, first five min I can explain the goal of the lesson and the theorem formula, vocabulary terms like hypotenuse and leg
    The next five min I can hand them the shoe boxes and ask them to measure the longest object that fits in the box and they must use the theorem. If they use a ruler to measure the hypotenuse without using the formula, do I accept that as an answer? Because they are not using the theorem formula.. I don't feel comfortable handing out shoe boxes to administrators and principals.

My idea was on volumes, I will have a discussion on volumes, ask each 'student' to draw a cylinder, cone and sphere on a white paper. I will ask them to label the parts. Once they are done, I will ask them to identify any shapes that they see on a cylinder and cone. I have a cylinder and 3 cones. I will demonstrate how it takes 3 cones to fill a cylinder provided the cylinder and cone have the same height and radius. After demonstrating I will ask them to write the formulas down. I will guide them by asking questions like what is the area of a circle? I will pass out a worksheet with real world problems.

Thoughts?

10. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 9, 2015

This is where you student taught, right? What kind of information delivery do they value? For my school, this would be too much teacher talk, not enough student do. If you can frame your lesson as mid-unit you can skip the drawing, which will eat up too much time anyway. Given the standard, what is your SMART objective for this lesson? I would probably go for relationship between volumes of cylinder and cone, as you mentioned. Given they know the volume of cylinder (so you would give that to them) and given what they can discover about cones, can they figure out formula for cylinder? I wouldn't demonstrate 3 cones = 1 cylinder, I'd have them figure it out, probably with pre-made cones and cylinders and rice.

11. Apaasn

Apaasn Rookie

Jul 9, 2015

Yes this is where I student taught, the principal wanted me to incorporate more student driven activities. I think you are right and I shouldn't demonstrate that but have students discover it. I have a cone and cylinder, can bring some rice. Please read my plan and critique.
    Learner outcome
    Swbat determine the volumes of cone and cylinder by comparing their volumes.

Share with your partner sitting next to you what the word volume means?
    I will walk around listening in, will call a few students and help understand the word volume
    On a sheet of paper I will ask them to draw a cone and cylinder
    Once they are done, I will ask them to label the height and radius
    I will ask them to shade the bases and discuss what base means
    I will lead a discussion on how cylinder is a bunch of circles stacked on each other. Give them the generAl formula for volume v =Bh B is the area of the base. I will ask them the area of the base which is the area of a circle and ask them to write the formula

Now that we know the cylinder formula, we will find the cone volume.
    I will hand the manipulatives and ask them to tell me how many volumes of cone make a cylinder? Before that I will ask them which one they think have a bigger volume.
    As they discover that 3 cones fill a cylinder, I will write the formula for cone given by them.
    I will have them write the formulas on a index card.
    hand them worksheet with word problems and ask them to solve it seated in groups.

What do you think? I am not sure of closure, still thinking.

Thank you for bearing with me!
    I greatly appreciate your feedback

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 10, 2015

I'm not a math teacher, but I like your lesson. :) Maybe use an "exit ticket" as your closure... have the student write one thing they learned and one thing the are still confused about on an index card.

13. Apaasn

Apaasn Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

Thank you guys so much! My demo lesson went very well, it was student centered so I told them that I walk around a lot, listen to group discussions and mold my instructions based on that. I think it went very well. My interview was a rapid fire round of 20 questions by a panel of five members. I answered all questions, fumbled a tiny bit on this question. What is the difference between high school and middle school students? But overall I did well. Let's see.

14. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 14, 2015

Sounds good! Glad the lesson went well. When will they make a decision? Hope you get some happy news soon.

15. Apaasn

Apaasn Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

Thank you mathteachertobe! They will make a decision in two days. I will update it here. I heard from my mentor teacher that I am in the top 3. I am extremely nervous,having sleepless nights. This is the only school where they know me and if I can't make it here, it's going to be really difficult. Just trying to stay positive. I have an extremely long last name, the students call me MrS. A, during the interview they asked me how to say my name and I told them. I cannot change my name for another year legally, I didn't want to bring that up during the interview and remind everyone that I am not an American. so I just said my name and there was a weird silence for a few minutes. The lesson was very common core and everything else was fine.

16. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 14, 2015

When I was job hunting and waiting to hear, I made a point of finding another job to apply for, so I could feel like I had other leads if the news wasn't good. The positive report from your mentor is great to hear. Just know, even if this school isn't the one, there other great schools that need strong math teachers. My job hunt was very, very hard (24 different jobs I interviewed for, 22 of which I did not get, including the school I student taught at), but I ended up at a great school and am very happy.

I do really hope you get good news in a couple of days.

17. Apaasn

Apaasn Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

Thank you for sharing your story mathteachertobe! It is very inspiring. I can imagine how happy you must have been when you got the job. It is hard to stay positive through all this but I am just going to keep applying to schools and trying my best! What was it that worked for you during your interview at the school you are working that got you the job? Anything specific you said? I appreciate any advice you can give me.

18. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 14, 2015

If you are second or third in a strong field of contenders, build on that for the next interview. Also, since they know you, see if you can get some constructive criticism to help next time. If you were a strong contender, they actually will want to seen you succeed - they often feel bad that they can hire only one.

Give it your best effort - done.
    Learn from your mistakes - will do.
    Hope for the best, with no regrets, but plan for the future - applications in?

Now, do whatever it takes to keep your spirits up, your mind distracted, that could help you down the line. I had an interview that I think was decent, but I will continue scheduling interviews and prepping for them, because it keeps me sane. If I simply sit and wait it is a waste of nervous energy and makes me too unfocused. This may or may not be "the one" but it gave you a great shot at how to finish strong.

All the best, and know we are all wishing you the best - we have all been in your shoes at one point or another.

19. Apaasn

Apaasn Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

Thank you so much! :thumb:
    I have applied to a school district close to my home, l am just waiting and hoping for the best!