"No, Thank You"

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Playfulteach, Feb 28, 2015.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 6, 2015

Now why would you ever say no to another martini?? :lol:

2. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Mar 16, 2015

Yeah, you're right. This phrase is overused in certain regions or maybe even certain preschools. I've used it, and I thought about it, and it doesn't make much sense. I now tell the kids to tell someone, "Personal space please," if someone is too close. Or I will tell them to say, "Stop, I don't like that."

3. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Mar 16, 2015

I will have the child walk over to the child that did the hitting, name calling or otherwise being "mean". I tell them to say what they didn't like and they finish with "Do not do that to me again!"

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 28, 2015

It doesn't teach the children what the RIGHT words are to use. Susie puts her feet on the table and the teacher says, "No thank you!" We should tell the child what is the right thing to do : "Your feet belong on the floor."

5. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Mar 28, 2015

I am guilty of using this phrase. I don't teach it to my kids, but I do say it. If Tim is throwing rocks, I'd say "No, thank you (as in, 'No, don't do that and thank you for listening). Rocks stay on the ground." To me, it's a way of saying "don't" and "thank you" for complying/listening. It's always followed by what the kiddos can do.

If a kiddo hit another, it's always a firm "We have nice hands, we do not hit." I teach kids to say "I don't like it when..." "Please stop..." etc.

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 28, 2015

If you have to fill in the blanks when you use a phrase for adults to understand what you really are trying to say, it is not going to get the right meaning across to the very young child.

I could see saying "No." and pausing until the action stops. Then saying "Thank you.", but as you phrase it, there is too much that isn't said that is thought in your head.

Children learn by listening to those who model language. So, while you are not intentionally teaching kids to use this phrase the children will pick it up in the context it is being used. Therefore on one level you are teaching children to say "No, thank you." when someone is doing something not desired.

7. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Mar 28, 2015

I suppose I am the minority who doesn't think saying "no, thank you" is inappropriate. Of course, saying "no, thank you" in response to aggressive behavior is inappropriate and I don't say it then, nor do I teach victims to say it either. I do, however, think saying "no, thank you" in other instances exposes my preschoolers to mannerisms. Any time I could say no, outside of inappropriate situations, I say "no, thank you."

I do this at home with my 3 and 5 year olds. My children have always heard "no, thank you," even as I am telling them to sit on the couch vs. stand on the couch. Whenever my children say "no," it's always followed by "thank you" because they hear me say it. I teach them how to claim and defend appropriately, like I do with my students.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2015

:thumb: someone touches me, hits me, violates my safety...you can bet I'm not thanking them. I'll say stop, yell no, call for help , push or hit back...but no, I won't be thanking them. And kids shouldn't eIther.:2cents:

9. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Mar 28, 2015

I agree and don't say or teach my kids to say "no, thank you" in these situations. I say, and teach kids to say, appropriate phrases. My post was about saying "no, thank you" in general and not in response to hitting, biting, kicking, etc.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2015

This was the OP.

11. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Mar 28, 2015

Yes. I was responding to OP's question of "What is your take on the phrase "no thank you." I should have been more specific in my post.

12. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Apr 9, 2015

The last center I worked at used that "no, thank you" technique. Here, we don't! We teach the kids to say "Please stop _______!" We use solution kits so they know a variety of ways to solve their conflict, including ignoring/walking away!