No replies to numerous applications/ interview requests in Northern VA. Advice?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by buttercup26, May 21, 2018.

1. buttercup26

buttercup26 Rookie

May 21, 2018

Hello all!
    I just completed my master's degree in Early Childhood Education. However, I am seeking employment on a provisional license, because I was not able to complete my student teaching. I have applied to many, many schools in Fairfax County and Prince William, but I have not gotten a single reply. A few of the jobs have been filled, but many have been up for months.
    Do these schools do most of their hiring over the summer? Or could my issue be that provisionals are difficult to obtain? Something else?
    ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. I am so passionate about teaching and I want nothing more than to get my career started!

3. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

May 21, 2018

I'm not an expert. But... Provisionals' opportunities usually kick in late in the season after the fully endorsed crowd is investigated. Plus, many of those counties have only passed their budget a month ago or less. I believe things will heat up more after SOL season. Hang in there!

pommom likes this.
  4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 21, 2018

Why were you unable to complete your ST? Remember you are competing against many other candidatesvwho have full license in hand/experience.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    futuremathsprof and pommom like this.
  5. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 21, 2018

I didn't do student teaching, and I had a hard time finding a job alt route. Your best bet is to apply in the rough areas or not sought after districts. My first teaching job was at private school, and the pay was LOW, but hey it's a job! Now, I am a fully certified teacher with 2 yrs experience, and I have only been on 2 interviews (one of those interviews was today) after many applications this summer. Even for certified teachers, it is not easy to find a job.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

May 21, 2018

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are applying in a field that many would consider very hard to secure a position in under great circumstances - the competition is stiff. Add the provisional certificate, and you are at a distinct disadvantage. My son teaches in PWC, but since he is an ESL teacher, he was able to choose from multiple offers. Generally speaking, those wanting to work with the youngest students face the toughest road to employment. Highly sought after certificates have a much greater chance with the provisional certificates.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

May 21, 2018

It is only May. Most hiring is often done in June.

8. buttercup26

buttercup26 Rookie

May 21, 2018

Thanks so much for your reply! Let's hope!

9. buttercup26

buttercup26 Rookie

May 21, 2018

Thanks so much for your reply. I wasn't able to do my student teaching because you had to apply 9 months in advance, and I didn't realize that I had to have my Praxis II done before I was even able to apply. I spent the summer doing 6 endorsement classes :(. So I'm trying to get a provisional and do my student teaching on the job.

10. buttercup26

buttercup26 Rookie

May 21, 2018

Thanks for the info. I hope it went well. It's rough out there!

11. buttercup26

buttercup26 Rookie

May 21, 2018

Thank you for your input. Glad your son was able to find something. Worst comes to worst I'll have to wait and do my student teaching in the spring.

12. buttercup26

buttercup26 Rookie

May 21, 2018

Thanks for your reply. Let's hope!

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 25, 2018

Agree with everyone. What you might want to do is look outside the box. Go back to all your potential schools and districts and look for sub and especially long term sub positions. would be bold enough to add a line on my resume, "Will consider substitute positions".

Schools always need subs, and it's a great way to learn the district, and get your foot in the door. An added plus is flexibility to do your ST by simply not taking assignments during that time.

But If you really need/want a job or experience, look into Head Start positions. Many sites are year round. More flexible in scheduling (open 6a—6p) so it’s possible you can still work part time around ST hours. Also, more likely to allow student teaching as most ST programs do not allow you to work at the same location. They offer good salary & some offer benefits. No teachers pension or union - a plus or minus depending how you feel about that.

Head Start jobs are found in non-profit organizations programs. Look into The Salvation Army, Lutheran Social Services, Catholic Charities, and The YMCA. These are just a few places that offer quality preschool programs, good salary, and very good benefits. Every community has a good number of these organizations. They may be well-known, or local places. Research non-profits and I bet there's some ECE programs listed. Most positions will be year round. Extra staff will be needed for the summer for extended hours and increased enrollment.

Another option would be the Catholic schools or Lutheran schools. They may not be as strict or picky about provisional vs. standard certificate. Salary may be lower, no union and no pension, but you may have benefits. Smaller class size and if nothing else, maybe some good subbing jobs.

Another option on the lower salary end would be local childcare/daycare programs and/or daycare chains, such as KinderCare, LaPetite, etc. In the daycare chains, or any site with at least two locations, you are more likely to get better salary and benefits. Although this may not be your first choice, if you want experience and $$, they also work year round, and always need help in the summer. Regular staff take off for vacation. Extra staff needed for summer camp/school age programs.

Last but not least, look into summer school. Majority positions are probably filled, but you may luck out and find something. I had the good fortune to work in a math and reading program for summer school. I think they called me as I submitted my resume for a regular teaching job.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  14. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

May 25, 2018

Unless the Head Start by you is like the one by me: they follow the district schedule (September-June, 8:30-3:30), plus the pay is hourly :rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

May 26, 2018

Come back to Texas, it's just not the same since you've been away!

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 26, 2018

LOL..... Come to Chicago. The snow finally melted :p it's 90 degrees today.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 26, 2018

May I ask if you are seeking a specific grade, like kindergarten?? If so, those jobs are really hard to get. Kindergarten teachers get hired and and stay forever!!! I was lucky to get hired as a kindergarten teacher one year. Unfortunately, the school decided to go from 2 half day sessions to one full day class. So they let me go. :(

18. Curriculum Chef

Curriculum Chef Rookie

May 30, 2018

Buttercup 26,

Consider starting in a private, religious-based school. Though they pay less, you'll get your foot in the door. Also apply in less desirable schools. Sad to say, but those schools do attract less teacher applicants. If none of those work, sub for a while.

Good luck!