No pay increase in 4 years.

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by lovebeingteach, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 4, 2012

Well, it is annoying to not have a pay increase because the cost of living increases every year. So, no pay raise means actually having less every year when you factor in the cost of living.

2. JustMe

JustMe Guru

May 4, 2012

Dwelling on the fact that many unemployed teachers would take her job in a second does nothing whatsoever to relieve her problem. It's missing the point entirely.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 4, 2012

Three years for us.

4. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

May 4, 2012

With the increases in insurance premiums, decreases in retirement benefits, rises in the cost of other things (food, gasoline, etc.), furlough days, "decrease in school year days" and everything else, I am making less than I was making 3 years ago.

If I didn't have a wonderful boyfriend who gets payed well at his job I don't know if I could make it. I have cut back on the "extras" for my classroom. I have tried to get by with the "bare essentials" since while everything else has been occuring I haven't been able to afford all of the other experiences my students don't normally get (cooking activities, art activities, a large library of books to read). While all of this has been occuring, behavior has gotten worse overall, paperwork requirements have become amazing, and lots of other things have also taken place. But when something like today happens (we checked our plants we planted for our unit) and the looks on their faces was why I do what I do. They were so excited about their little plants that "they grew". It makes me appreciate the fact I am not having to interview for a position right now (we just advertised for 2 positions and had almost 400 applicants for them). So I will go ahead and make do with what I have available and try and come up with creative ways to make sure my students achieve the CCGPS (our Georgia version for the Common Core).

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 4, 2012

Wow.:dizzy:

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 4, 2012

Yep, their concern's the last thing on my mind. I'm trying to still learn my job & do the best I can!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 4, 2012

That would be a good plan.

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 4, 2012

What are you talking about? ANYTHING ANYONE SAYS potentially does "nothing whatsoever" to relieve anyone's problems. All we can do is attempt to offer perspective. Whether that person realizes it or accepts it is up to him/her.

In this particular case, one's perspective can make a world of difference. If you asked some teacher, who was unable to find employment in that area of the country whether she would take a $30k job--and they told that person that there was little chance for pay raise in the next few years--I'm venturing to say that person would accept the job... with gusto.

OTOH, OP is feeling the opposite (which I'm not disagreeing with--it's her opinion. One that I can empathize with). If my comment were to help her come to a better understanding, then she might not feel as disenchanted with her job situation.

I'm offering a perspective. It is a perspective that is very prevalent. If a greater understanding of said perspective helps you feel more comfortable with your situation, then it DOES help. If YOU would prefer to be willfully ignorant of this, that's your business. But in this case, comments related to the job outlook in the profession aren't irrelevant.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 4, 2012

The $30K a year wouldn't be so bad when you have a significant other to help out.
    When you are on your own, it is rough. Really rough. I do not know one single teacher that doesn't work 2 jobs (and I am not talking tutoring). I know a few married ones who work 2 jobs as well.

10. JustMe

JustMe Guru

May 4, 2012

Yes, yes...I am just going to be "willfully ignorant" of this wisdom you have provided. :rolleyes:

My point is, telling someone that other people would eagerly take her job diminishes the positions she's is in (essentially, earning less with each year of experience). I get that you claim to be offering a perspective which may allow her to see her position in a different light, but I guess I have read far too many of your negative, bitter posts to believe you are sincerely attempting to help.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 4, 2012

Here's the thing. They're punishing us for not wanting to be destitute paupers forever. There's something wrong with that.

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 5, 2012

Pay DECREASE last year, more into insurance (our pension was already at 15% of our salary),and no COLA for the past 5 years. Yep, we are watching every penny.
    I feel for the OP's original post. I don't think she was playing the "woe is me" card. I think she was stating a fact and just wanted to vent. For the posters who state how any college grad would take their job in a heartbeat-I am sure they would. But no one is saying they are not grateful for having a job in this tough economy. Everyone deserves the time to vent. It is stress management. I agree with one poster-I am not going to roll over because a college grad is having a hard time finding a teaching position. I WAS that college grad back in the early 90's when teaching positions were few and far between, and I had loan payments to pay. I remember working in an ice cream store just to make my rent. So, I am not going to roll over because they would "kill" for my job. I have worked hard for my job.

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 5, 2012

After reading these posts, I'm thankful for my 2% raise and the fact that nobody was fired or laid off at my school. My budgets were cut to a third of what I normally get this school year and I teach science so I had to cut back or pay for a lot of supplies. I learned some helpful tricks and will be making some changes to the curriculum to avoid expensive not-really-needed stuff to be paid for.

I find all of my curriculum ideas online (for free) and I also sign up to different groups that offer free workshops near by or online (the 3 professional development workshops that were not free that I've taken this year have all been paid for by my school). I buy a lot of my supplies at Dollar stores-- I wait until they have the brand name supplies before I buy stuff since I don't like the quality of non-brand name stuff. Homeroom teachers get boxes of tissues brought in so I can grab some boxes from them-- otherwise I also send the kids down to the bathroom. I buy big bottles of soap and just water it down since the kids love to put so much on their hands so I barely use any soap and I bought towels from the Dollar store so they dry their hands with that and I launder them every few weeks. I don't give out any pencils-- so either bring extras or borrow from someone and I think I might be giving up highlighters next year because I started out with 25 of them and I'm down to 9 right now because kids walk off with them.

You really have to bargain hunt and think about if the "extras" are really worth money out of your pocket. I just can't afford to spend extra money on class stuff when I'm trying to put my husband through college and save up some money for finding a better apartment or a house to buy.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

May 5, 2012

Same here. Our raises are based on our performance evaluations and are given yearly. I don't know what % but at least it's something and is guaranteed every year.

15. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 5, 2012

<<I do not know one single teacher that doesn't work 2 jobs (and I am not talking tutoring). I know a few married ones who work 2 jobs as well.>>

I'm a single teacher and I work only one job.

I am also not a "destitute pauper." I make significantly more money and work significantly less days and hours than most of the families of the students that attend my school.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 5, 2012

I meant here in NC. I should have clarified. None of my friends working in other states are in that position.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 5, 2012

Teachers in my area generally don't tutor because we're destitute. We tutor to help students and because $70 per hour is nice work if you can get it...most of my tutoring money (sometimes up to ten hours a week) is in cash. ...and while I earn a very nice paycheck in my district as a professional educator, the extra $$ I make tutoring offsets the increased buy in now required for my health insurance and pension...with a nice little chunk of change to put in the safe. With two kids having gone thru college in the past eight years, a wedding coming up, and life's little 'emergencies', any decrease in pay is impactful.

18. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 5, 2012

The 2% seems the norm at my school-- everybody gets that raise. Since I work at a private school, finances are based on how much money we bring in and because of how many of our families have lost their jobs because of businesses failing we haven't raised the tuition for the past 2 years. Admins have decided to not take raises for 2 years, which I'm assuming helps a bit, but we're also going through a major campaign to raise about $12 million to upgrade many parts of the campus (including completing redoing my classroom this summer).

For me, it just seems trying to find more ways to cut back in my classroom and in my normal life.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 5, 2012

We are not allowed to tutor our own students for money. We are technically not allowed to tutor any students in our school for money, but it happens sometimes and nothing is ever done about it. Tutoring rates fall between $15-25/hr here, so they don't bring in a whole lot of extra income unless you have a whole bunch of students.
    I usually hold a weekly drop-in opportunity for extra help before school to help my students- free of charge, of course, because we can't charge them.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 5, 2012

WE cant tutor kids from our own school either. It's a conflict of interest. Those same kids, whether we teach them or not, could certainly receive extra help for free.

But over the years I've made lots of money tutoring kids who attend other schools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.