No observation report- would you say something?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by waterfall, Mar 6, 2017.

1. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 6, 2017

This year my P told us that she was offering a new option for observations that we could choose. Typically, she schedules the observation and then schedules a post-meeting within that week. We get our formal evaluation report 24 hours before the meeting. Her "new option" was to schedule the observation and then schedule the post-meeting immediately after the lesson so it could be a true "debrief." She said she'd then include that conversation as part of the report and send us the report in 2-3 days. My P is NEVER in my room outside of my once per year formal observation, so I get nervous because it's a lot of pressure on one lesson, IMO. I decided to go with the new option because I figured it would be a way for me to get an immediate feel for how she felt about the lesson.

My observation was just over two weeks ago now. In the post-meeting, she absolutely raved about the lesson, so I left feeling good about that. She told me she needed to "clean up her notes" and then she'd send me the report. I've heard nothing since then. I've checked our online evaluation system to make sure she didn't write the report and just forget to email me about it, and there is nothing there. Our contract only says that we have to meet within 10 days, and technically we did meet. I'm starting to worry that she forgot since we already met! I posted before that my P got non-renewed, so I'm sure paperwork obligations are not her priority at the moment. Part of the reason why I'm anxious to see the official report is that it's what new P will be seeing about my history at the school next year. Part of me is also worried that if too much time passes, we'll have to redo the entire process. On the other hand, I don't want to irritate my P and possibly taint what I assume will be a good evaluation. My P has always had positive things to say about me and I know she thinks I'm a good teacher, but we're not "buddies" like she is with some teachers, and I often find her difficult to read. It's hard to tell what she would get upset about. Would you say something? If so, how would you approach it?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2017

I'd send an email along the lines of:
    Thanks so much for our post-observation meeting. I always value feedback on my practice and enjoyed our discourse about the lesson you observed on (date). If there is any other information I can provide to help you with your write up, please let me know. Thanks again for your time and support!

waterfall, Ms.Holyoke and agdamity like this.
  4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 6, 2017

We had the same exact policy. I like it because it take the anxiety out of the process. Within 1 week you know everything and within 24 hours you have a pretty good idea.
    This year was different. We merged school and don't have a principal, the previous principal was promoted to be director so she's filling both roles. We hardly every see her (not her fault she gets pulled into all kinds of directions).
    When she was supposed to observe me they pulled her as an emergency so someone else observed me. I had the choice of rescheduling but I just wanted to get it over with.
    We never met afterwards. This was in November, I briefly asked her about it. she said we would get together before winter break to discuss it, but she also assured me that I got nothing to worry about.
    In the spring she's supposed to do another formal observation / evaluation, and she said she would just base her opinion on several walk troughs. None of them happened yet, but my classroom is the first one, and they know everything that's going on. My door is always open.

Honestly I'm not worried, because if my evaluation was anything less than what I'd like I could fight it that I wasn't given a chance to discuss afterwards, etc. But that is why I'm not worried, because if there was something wrong, I'm sure they wouldn't be so relaxed.

In your case I would just ask for a specific time to sit down (in an email) because you do have the right to see your evaluation and it should be in a timely manner. Because your admin is leaving, your eval is even more crucial.

waterfall likes this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 7, 2017

I decided to send the email. P wrote back immediately that she her plan was to work on it tonight and have it to me tomorrow, and she apologized for the delay. I guess she wouldn't admit it if she did forget (especially in an email), but seems pretty coincidental that she "planned" to have it ready by tomorrow after waiting this long. Oh well, at least I can quit worrying about it. I hope she's not irritated that I said something...I guess I'll see tomorrow!