No name papers

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by missapril81, Sep 23, 2011.

1. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Sep 23, 2011

I am getting a lot of papers with no names. Do you just give your kids zeros or make them redo it? Do you take the time to find the students who didn't put their names on their papers?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2011

I'll sit with the pile of papers and read names of the papers that have names...those kids go off to the next activity...the remainders come look at the unsigned papers I have and put their name on.... But I circle the name line and put ???? With bright marker so parents see...

4. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Sep 23, 2011

I give a warning then 5 points off and if it still continues I give 10 points off.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2011

My kids are seated in alphabetical order. They pass their papers foreward.

Today I got a quiz without a name. I figured out that it belonged to Ryan and wrote his name on it in red.

I realize my kids are older than the OP's, but it's a total non issue in my class.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2011

My students are older, but I do make attempts to figure out who the papers belong to. I keep "no name" papers clipped together in a basket for students to rummage through. It's not a battle I choose to fight.

7. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Sep 24, 2011

I have kids turn in work in their table folders. So I know if they don't put their name on it, I can guess who it belongs to, put their name on it, and take off points. However, there have been moments where kids don't put papers in the folders or I am pulling papers out and don't pay attention to the names until I have a stack that I am grading. So my backup plan is to create a "lost papers" bucket to put papers. If a student doesn't get their homework, test, etc back, I am going to point them to the "lost papers" bucket.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2011

When I taught kinder, I would praise the students who remembered the name and make a big deal as I handed their papers to them. Then for the rest, I would put them into a pile and ask them to ID their papers and I would make them write their name on it (I usually do this part doing free play time, because I'm evil like that. :D). One thing I do though is teach them the song that goes to the tune of that song, Shave and a Haircut... so it goes, "name on your paper, first thing! Where does it go? At the top!"

9. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Sep 25, 2011

STOP Sign

STOP! Is your name on your paper?

Highlight your name with a yellow highlighter.

Go! Now turn your paper into the correct basket.

I can't post attachments, but maybe you can visualize this. Next to a picture of a STOP sign, I have these 3 sentences next to the red, yellow and green light. Hanging beside the sign is a pen and a yellow high lighter. The sign hangs in the way of where students turn in classwork or homework (baskets). Since it's hanging, the students can't help but to see the sign. Having them highlight their name has helped with no name papers. Also, using File13 (the trash can) has helped also.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Sep 25, 2011

I do this.

However, one time only about 2 children put their names on for whatever reason. I told them we didn't have time to sort through who's paper was who's and I just handed them back randomly and the students had to finish whatever paper they received. They did not like that, and were more diligent with putting their names on after that!

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2011

Good idea. Do you have them highlight all year long, or do you eventually phase this out?

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2011

I had a group last year that was particularly bad about this. They had named our interactive whiteboard Bob, so I told them that I was going to assume any no-name papers were done by Bob. I wrote "Bob's Papers" on the board and put a clip there. Any no-name papers were put up there, and they had to claim any of theirs. I also kept score--they got a point for every set of papers that had all the names, Bob got a point for every paper he got. At the end of the week, they got a small treat if they beat Bob. (I phased that out after a couple weeks).

13. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Sep 25, 2011

I have students highlight all year long, because sometime in April, they forget everything they've been expected to do. Also, it'sa routine, so they become very use to it. Some students don't like change, so this is good for them also.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 25, 2011

This is not a battle I chose to fight. I had an "orphan paper" folder in filing bin on my desk. Students could go through it and find their own papers, put their names on them, and put them in the "reclaimed papers" folder. I would then record the grades appropriately. I gave progress reports out every other week or so, and if a student was missing a grade, he or she knew to look in the orphan paper basket. At the end of a marking period, all the orphan papers got thrown out, so they had until then to reclaim their work with no penalty.

15. HugsInOK

HugsInOK Rookie

Sep 26, 2011

I also have my kids highlight their name on their papers. It really cuts down on the "no name" papers. I do rarely get a paper without a name, but it goes in the trash. If they would have highlighted their name, they wouldn't have to re-do their paper. I have too many students to go through and try to figure out whose paper it is.

16. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Sep 26, 2011

I will stick them on the white board with "No name :(" written next to them. When they go up to claim it they have to pay me two tickets. If it's something like a test where they may not know based on handwriting I will have them stand and call out names. The last one standing has to get their paper, write their name, and then pay me tickets. I end up with fewer no name papers because they don't want to pay!

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 26, 2011

I do the highlighting, but only with the no name frequent fliers.

18. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Sep 26, 2011

I took over a 4th grade position last year (ended up being LTS) and as I was looking at the grade book, I realized half the kids had more than half their assignments missing! After speaking to the P, he told me to give them a 0 since there was nothing I could do. So many A students ended up with C's and D's because of misplaced papers (but the original teacher as very disorganized)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like the idea of naming the smart board...

I've also seen a jail. The papers get put into a folder that's decorated like a jail cell. The kids have to pay tickets, or write a check (depending on the grade) in order to get their paper out of jail - think Monopoly.

When I was in a 1st grade field experience, the teacher used this sing-songy chant:
    Write your first name
    and your last name
    and stop.

19. kellyrosebud

kellyrosebud Rookie

Sep 29, 2011

At the beginning of the year I introduce a simple chant. "the first thing you do is write your name.". After repeating it several times I say the first part and the kids repeat the second.
    Me:first thing you do is....
    Them: write your name

I say it almost without thinking now. ;-p

Another idea I've adopted works for any sort of consumable math/LA/etc that has rip out pages.... Have a "contest" where students write their name on as many pages as they can within a certain time limit- say 3 minutes. Some of it may get a bit sloppy but I'd rather have a sloppy name to none at all!

20. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 26, 2011

My kids each have a number as well as their name to put on their papers. It's frustrating but less time consuming to put them in number order to determine to whom the no name paper belongs. Now, I keep track of the most recent two no-namers and they give up a recess to put the papers in order for me and determine who will be the new no-name "expert." (Once they are the n-n-expert 3 times, they write a paragraph for each no-name paper to detail just how frustrating it is for their dear teacher....adding more detail sentences for each n-n paper that quarter.)