No Carpets Allowed

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teachfrog, Jul 28, 2007.

1. teachfrog

teachfrog Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

I recently found out that my new school does not allow area rug type carpets on top of the carpeted floor in my classroom because it's too difficult to keep clean. Several teachers in the school used masking tape on the floor to mark out a group space but the custodians nearly had heart attacks when they saw the grimy, sticky buildup it left on the carpet. I need a CHEAP alternative to mark out the space for my students to sit on the floor... any ideas? :thanks:

3. Lady D

Lady D Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

Maybe you could try carpet squares. Some carpet stores will give them to you for free if you tell them that you are a teacher. Good luck!!

4. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

I think I remember someone posting that they were planning to use those big, foam puzzle pieces as an area mat. Maybe you could try something like that, since it would be light enough for the custodians to move around as necessary?

I suppose you could always put down a sheet each morning and pick it up each afternoon, too.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

You could use those small individual "seats"...they are like foam with some kind of plastic on the outside...they sell them in most teacher stores...

6. azteacher3

azteacher3 Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I cut up sentence strips, write their name on it, and then tape it onto the floor with clear packaging tape. They stay for a few weeks before they have to be retaped and they do not leave that much of a mark on the carpet. After a few days of being removed from the carpet you can't even see where they were. We have a little contest every month. Whoever can keep their name taped down nicely on the floor got a special reward at the end of the month. This really helped keeping my students from picking at the tape while they were sitting down.

7. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 29, 2007

What I did when I taught Head Start was to buy some cheap, but heavy, plastic place mats at the Dollar Store, cut them in half, and use those as student seats. I also put name tags on there with their names on them.

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 29, 2007

You can buy velcro with the sticky back at Walmart. Stick a small piece of mini sentence strip paper with each child's name to a small piece of the velcro and place it on the carpet. Make sure you use the really scratchy side of he velcro, not the fuzzy side. Using velcro will let you move around the kids from time to time...especially if you have any kids that can't be near each other.

9. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I was in a similar situation before. I used the big foam puzzle pieces. Each day the students would put their puzzle piece down (they were labeled) and every afternoon they would pick them up. We had a special splace in our room that we stored them.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

I think those giant foamy floor puzzles are the neatest thing ever!

When I was in school we used carpet squares (probably free from carpet warehouse stores). Before rug time, we'd each grab a square from the stack, and we'd put them away afterwards.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 29, 2007

Those foam mats are a wonderful alternative to carpets. I know Sams Club (Wal-Mart) sells a pack of 15 for around $20. They're pretty big and link together. You could do that and it would look like a designated area, or you can leave them apart and have kids pick them up each time you need to go to the "carpet".

12. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I had a horrid rug last year and 23 children! I had them make choo choo trains seating them in rows of 5 across. They remembered who was supposed to be sitting near them and they remembered their own places quite well. I kept a chart of their spots on a clipboard but found I didn't need it. No tape, no mess. It worked for me:)

13. [gloworm]

[gloworm] Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Every year I make "name squares" for my students to use when sitting on the floor. I buy clear vinyl by the yard (you can find it at any fabric store, WalMart, etc.) and cut it into 6" x 6" squares. I tape their names to the underside of the square with clear packing tape, so you can read the name from the top. Then put 2 or 3 little pieces of the loop side of velcro on the underside of the name to hold the square in place on the carpet.

I have am and pm classes so I have to be able to change the name squares every day. The plastic is really cheap: $3 or $4 does all 20 of my students. And really durable: they last all year; would probably last longer, but it's easier for me to replace them than to pick the names and the tape off of the back.

Also, since I teach pre-k, I've found that the plastic protects the carpet from the 1 or 2 accidents we seem to have each year. I also love that each child has his own "personal space" since I can space them as far apart as I need to. They sit/stand so that they are covering (or as they prefer to say: hiding) their names, and a quick "Someone's name is peeking" from the teacher gets them back to the right spot instead of crowding their neighbor.

At the beginning of the year I place the squares on the rug one at a time while I sing (to the tune of "If your happy and you know it)

If your name is on the square, sit right down.
    If your name is on the square then you belong right there.

This really helps them learn name recognition and the square shape. Yea, I love multi-tasking! :2up:

Good luck, Glo.

14. amazngraece

amazngraece Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Cute Glo!

For years we use the "hook" side of velcro to create rows on the carpet, it works well, lasts all year, Joann's sells it in primary colors. You need about 24" per child toosh! (I did 4 "lines" for color groups)

You could cut 6" strips and write their names in sharpie...no real lines, just individual spots.

Toss the "loop" side, and just smooth the hook side to the carpet, rearrange as needed, not a mark left!

15. teachfrog

teachfrog Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Love all of these ideas! Thanks everyone!:love: