NJ to PA reciprocity

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachersk, Mar 15, 2011.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2011

My husband has a second job interview this weekend (they're paying for us to stay in a hotel in town) and he's "almost got it."

We are crossing our fingers that this opportunity works out for him, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with NJ to PA reciprocity?

I am about to do a little research for myself, but wanted to know if anyone has any experiences to share first hand. (How long does it take, any extra tests, same certification areas, etc.)

If it matters, I have a M.Ed. in Special Education and 5 years of teaching experience (self-contained autism).

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 15, 2011

For most of your questions, look here: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/out-of-state_prepared/8821. This page suggests that, if you've been teaching long enough, you might possibly be exempt from some or all of the testing requirements.

(TeacherGroupie's trick: Google "teacher certification ____ out of state", where the blank is filled by the target state.)

For the tests, just in case, check the Praxis Web site: go to http://www.ets.org/praxis and use the drop-down menu to look up Pennsylvania's required tests and passing scores. (It may be necessary to fish around a bit.)

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2011

Yes, was just looking through all of that. Was hoping someone here had been through the process and might have insight...

From what I can tell, I DO still have to take the tests, even with experience....

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 15, 2011

Looks like you don't have to (re)take Praxis I/PPST, anyway.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2011

Well, I took Content Knowledge 0014 for NJ and it looks like Content Knowledge 0011 is required for PA.

Do you know about that?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 15, 2011

Content Knowledge tests are multiple choice and cover just content, not teaching practice. 0011, if memory serves, is Elementary Education, which is to say K-6. Depending on the special ed population you've been dealing with, and your own background, you might have some reviewing to do - but probably not much. There may be useful advice for you in the Multiple Subject Tests subforum.