NJ/NY

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by denis222, Aug 30, 2017.

1. denis222

denis222 Rookie

Aug 30, 2017

How difficult is it to get a job for a chemistry teacher in NY/NJ?

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Aug 30, 2017

Hi denis,

I teach in a high school in NJ. It seems we are always posting jobs for chem teachers! I think you will be very much in demand as a chem teacher in NJ. If it's possible for you to dual certify in physics/chem as I know many of our teachers do, that would be even better for you!

4. denis222

denis222 Rookie

Aug 30, 2017

That's good to hear! I am not sure if I can get certified in physics since I only have 15 credits in physics but I'll look it up.

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Aug 31, 2017

NY: It depends where you want to go. There may be a lot of openings (or very few,) but I think there's also little competition as well. So you may have to search for a job opening, but you may be one --of very few -- who actually applies. A local super told my friend that they recently hired an unlicensed chem teacher ("illegally") because they really needed one and there was no one else. But at the same token, it's not like there's large amounts of the position available either. The more you can offer to a district, the better. Try to take as many cert tests for various types of science and if a school is really desperate they may just hire you anyway.
    I'm at the point where I'm applying OUTSIDE my cert area for jobs I feel like I could teach well. I just applied to a HS English position. I'm not certified nor have I spent any time doing it, but if there's a ''shortage'' like they say, it may work. I'm at least certified in something and working toward secondary Spanish... I'll leave it up to them.
    I'd say just apply and see what happens.

6. denis222

denis222 Rookie

Aug 31, 2017

So how exactly would you find a position? I know it is the end of the summer but there are barely any job postings for chemistry teachers in NY/NJ maybe 10 or so total. I am using Indeed to check. Do you contact the districts and send them your resume? I don't have a certificate yet, I just don't want to go through the process to find out I can't even get a job

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Aug 31, 2017

You got to get on OLAS my friend
    https://www.pnwboces.org/

You literally fill out the app and just submit them to all the open positions of interest.
    Happy hunting.

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

9. denis222

denis222 Rookie

Aug 31, 2017

Thanks! OLAS didn't have many job openings but I am assuming it's because the summer is over and the several job openings were to be filled by 9/01.

K12jobspot had about 100 opening in nj which is pretty good. Guess I was checking the wrong site

Leaborb192 likes this.
  10. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 31, 2017

I will save OP some looking when it comes to physics. The requirement is 30 credits, about 40% of them upper level courses. In essence, it would be what you would have if physics had been your major in undergrad. Since the only physics endorsement is K-12, there is no way around it that I am aware of. The courses must be subject matter, free of pedagogy.

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2017

This.

In NJ, the links above are where to find jobs. Not places like indeed or monster. That alone screams alternate route.

12. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 2, 2017

You won't have a problem finding a Chem teaching job in NJ. I decided to look
    for a new job this year and there were tons of openings. As of today my old district has not found a replacement for me and the kids will be starting out the year with a sub so keep hope alive for getting a job this year. The last time they needed a chemistry teacher it took until December to find someone.

13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Sep 3, 2017

Just keep checking OLAS throughout the year. Stuff will open up.

14. denis222

denis222 Rookie

Sep 6, 2017

Do most people look for jobs in public schools? It seems that private and charter schools pay much less and don't provide benefits(pension). Does someone with no experience still have a good shot at starting out at a public school? I would rather avoid private and charter schools altogether would it make it more difficult for me to find a job?

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2017

Since I actually have experience in all 3, ignore anyone who tells you differently about pay and benefits.

You are wrong in most of your assumptions. PUBLIC Charters (the only kind that exists) typically pay what the local district pays AND you pay into the pension. Catholic schools offer benefits which aren't as good but they don't cost as much. Some its free, others were a small fee. Salary difference between full time catholic and public wasn't as big as you'd expect because you aren't paying a lot for benefits (the gap does grow more significantly the longer you are teaching). You could expect around 2500 a month after taxes in the Archdiocese of Newark.

Your ability to get hired in public school depends on the subject. Science, ESL, and math are easier than others. As long as you have a pulse and don't embarrass yourself in an interview, you could probably get a job in Chemistry. It's easier in districts where people would rather not work.

16. denis222

denis222 Rookie

Sep 6, 2017

Thanks!

17. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Sep 6, 2017

I'd be careful with this advice. AlwayAttend has experience with one charter that pays on par with district and uses that to overgeneralize. The majority of charters and private schoolsdo pay less. Several sources:

http://www.in-perspective.org/pages/teachers-and-teaching-at-charter-schools

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/10/charter-schools-spend-mor_n_1415995.html

https://www.screenflex.com/working-private-public-charter-school/

I will agree with the least part though. If you are something like elementary or social studies, you may have to spend a year or two in one of these schools first to gain experience. If you are spec ed, math, science, etc, you probably won't have to.

18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2017

You are advising with no actual knowledge yet pretending to know more than me because you read articles on the internet. What exactly does that say about you?

For anyone who actually cares, I spent time in an independent charter building. They paid the same as the district. 2 well known charter companies in the city pay above the city guide.

Rather than listening to uneducated people who feel the need to misrepresent their knowledge, ignore them and ask the school directly if you get called for an interview.

19. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Sep 7, 2017

Thanks for clearing that up.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 7, 2017

I work in a private school in NY (not charter) and the pay is a little less but the school pays a lot of our medical/dental so I hardly pay anything. Also, the school matches what I put in a 403b retirement account so even though we don't have pensions we have that. If it is between subbing and a private school that will give you experience then why not apply?

21. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 8, 2017

I actually taught in a public school for 10 years and just left for a private school. Pay is better and benefits are on par with the public school. So every school is different. Check them all out and see what works best for you.

SageScience and AlwaysAttend like this.