Nice new teacher "gift"

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ecteach, Aug 30, 2012.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 30, 2012

I am a middle school special ed teacher, but I wanted to get some ideas on what sort of things I could purchase for my son's second grade teacher. I plan on going to Sam's Club this weekend to purchase supplies for myself. She's a brand new teacher, and has moved to NC from Ohio. I just want to help her out a little.

What are some things that are must-haves for elementary teachers? For example, are Kleenex or dry-erase markers more important? I plan on spending about $20.

Thanks for the input.

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

So, you're thinking mainly classroom supplies, correct? Dry-erase markers are always great! They run out so quickly, and are a big expense if you need to replace them often. I had a wishlist up at Open House, and it contained 3 items:
    -Colored or patterned Duck Tape (for book binding)
    -Disinfecting wipes
    -Packaging tape (for hanging things on the wall)

I also go through a lot of post-it notes. I hope that helps a bit. How nice of you to think of her! :)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

Get a basket from the Dollar Store..then go in the travel sized item aisle of your local BB&B or drug store..get hand cream, a nail file, a small lint roller, etc...some mints, tea bags, chocolate:p.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

One more thing I just thought of: a few years ago, a parent gave me a "survival guide" on the first day of school. I thought it was sweet and thoughtful! I can't remember everything, but I do remember that it contained gum, chocolate, granola bars, and a gift card to Starbucks. It was a nice little stash to have on hand. :)

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 30, 2012

paper... an Office Depot gift card

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2012

Baby wipes are great to have on hand for messy hands or to wipe desks down especially during cold/flu season or pink eye season...LOL (I taught 1st and had a major pink eye break out).

Love the idea of dry erase markers...it's always fun to have different colors as well!!! (You may find those at like a Target for cheaper than like Sam's club). Different sized dry erase markers are great.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 30, 2012

I would want: Expo markers, shipping tape, Ticonderoga pencils, tissues, or hand sanitizer. I spent most of my money on those things.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2012

Four Square...I was thinking hand sanitizer...but I know some schools don't allow it...

I always appreciated when parents sent in tissues...especially during cold/flu season...nothing like blowing your nose on a 1 ply sheet that's like paper and everything goes through!!!!

10. blossom90

blossom90 New Member

Jan 22, 2013

Shipping tapes and markers.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Fanatic

Jan 22, 2013

I would want a little hand sanitizer just for me, some hand lotion, a small bag of Kisses or hard candies, a small coffee gift card, maybe a nice coffee mug I could keep at school, and - if they're allowed - a little desk plant.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2013

While I would appreciate any gift that a parent or student gave me, what I'd like most is....

A few small items just for me: chocolate, gum, hand sanitizer, lotion, a plant, a coffee mug, hot chocolate, tea, and/or some colored clicky pens.

I would also appreciate baby wipes, disinfecting wipes, kleenex, hand sanitizer, and/or dry erase markers. Because schools are all different as far as what they provide for teachers and what they allow/prohibit, I think that you should be careful to only get items that the school allows. Some school don't allow hand sanitizer, for example. Other schools might provide all the paper and dry erase markers that the teacher needs, so it would be kind of a waste to spend money on those things. There are also items that you might deem useful but the teacher won't use--there are a few items in this thread that I would never use, like duct tape or shipping tape. I can see how it would be useful for some teachers, but for me those things would end up just sitting in my wardrobe gathering dust. That's why I'd prefer some me-specific items to help me get through the day. :)

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2013

Shipping?:confused: