Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Teacher2Be2007, Sep 14, 2007.

1. awp0718

awp0718 Rookie

Sep 19, 2007

I definitely can agree with you on that!

2. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Sep 29, 2007

I know I'm a little late joining in on this thread, but I thought a reply was worth a try.

This is my first year of teaching. I have been covering for maternity leave in a first grade class since the beginning of the school year. I was just hired yesterday for a second grade position. I am so excited!!! It's a permanant job!

I wanted to share my situation with you because I am a career changer with absolutely no teaching experience. My degree is in finance so as you can imagine - it's not very helpful in the education world! I plan to go back for my masters of arts in teaching but thus far I haven't had any formal education in this field. I'm telling you this because my first six weeks of teaching (without any training or experience) has been absolutely fantastic. It's really gone well so far.

I think that you will be fine; please don't panic. Your undergrad work in education (classes and student teaching) will really prove to be advantageous. You'll be happy to be on your own. I hope this will boost your confidence.

I would love to hear how your first few weeks go :)

Best of luck!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 29, 2007

Congratulations to both of you. Please keep us posted along the way.

4. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 29, 2007

Thanks for that post! My first day is on Monday. I'm not nervous at all though because I don't have kids until Thursday! :lol: I'm just nervous about the planning aspect and getting my lessons done and hoping they learn something!

My last day with my 4th graders was yesterday, they were soo sweet at the end of the day, I'm definitely going to miss those little buggers! :wub:

5. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Oct 2, 2007

Second graders do talk back. At least two of mine try to. But I love them anyway...most of the time. ;)

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Oct 3, 2007

Congrats! I student taught in fourth grade and did a LTS sub in third grade. I teach third now, which I adore! :)

In second grade, the teacher next door and I did poem packets. We would find a poem related to something we were studying that week or something seasonal. The poem would be the front cover and we would have the jobs on the back

Monday- Find the adjectives. Circle in red.
    Tuesday-Star on the hunks and chunks
    Wednesday-Underline the compound words
    Thursday- Highlight words with a long a sound
    Friday- But an orange box on the contractions

They are a great way to review language and the kids love them! I gave them clean copies of the poems as their end of the year gift.

Then we did a math question and a DOL sentence. You can find morning work books that are grade specific but we got our DOL straight from our reading series. You could even replace math questions with doing number of the day, where they have to make equations for the number of days you have been in school. Mine would do addition, subtraction, money, Base 10, etc. Best of all, number of the day is free! Towards the end of the year they were to do four addends.

Congrats! You'll love second grade!

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 5, 2007

So.... How's your first week going?

8. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Oct 5, 2007

It's a bit hectic. Although I had 3 days to set up my room I honestly would've liked 2 more!

I had the kids yesterday and today and I'd say today went better than yesterday. I definitely got the "pick of the litter" when the other teachers chose who left their rooms. :( I also was lied to about how much support is really available to me. They claimed to be a really close "team" and worked together a lot. I've yet to see it and have been ignored more by the "team" than anyone else in the building.

9. twincheryl

twincheryl Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

Teacher2Be2007... we have had new teachers say the same thing... just be sure you are actually ASKING for help/support and not waiting for them to come to you... if the team offered when you were hired, they mean it... many of us "oldies" know what we are doing and don't want to step on your toes by being overly helpful... just don't be afraid to ask!