Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Teacher2Be2007, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 14, 2007

Hi Everyone!

I'm in the middle of student teaching (4th grade) and I went on an interview yesterday for 2nd grade and was offered the job immediately after the interview! :eek: I haven't formally accepted yet because I'm just freaked out right now! :lol: I'd actually start teaching in about 3 weeks...

Any ideas, comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated (from anyone! Including down a grade level or up a grade level)...

Also, any tips for a teacher starting during the school year? We've been in school since August 13th.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2007

You will love second. They for th most part know how to read and some math concepts, in second you go deeper for understanding and expand on what they already know. Will you be done with student teaching when you start in 2nd? :)

4. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 14, 2007

They are allowing me to cut my student teaching down from 12 weeks to 8 weeks and I will be eligible for my certification. :) So yes, I'll be done and be hired on as a fully certified teacher. :)

5. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 15, 2007

Wow, I guess czacza is the only one that had any helpful advice for me?

I guess I'll just stop posting in threads since I never get any feedback. :(

Mods, again, please close this thread! :thanks:

6. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Sep 15, 2007

I, for one, usually am out and about on Friday nights, so dont' be offended! People are usually pretty busy on weekend evenings! This is my 2nd year teaching 2nd and I love it too. They still love school and love their teachers, so that makes it fun. Be prepared, though, coming from 4th for quite a bit less independence. I student taught in 4th also, and was surprised that you constantly have a 'tail' behind you as you walk around the room. So you may want to have your procedures ready to go and stick to them. If you don't want them to come up to you with a question, make sure you emphasize that over and over. Spend just the first week on your procedures. You'll catch up on the other stuff later. Your year will go by much easier if you establish some routines very early on! Good luck!

7. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 15, 2007

I posted it early in the AM and thought for sure there would be some more feedback. The ONLY thing I do on Friday night is surf the web (no grading, no lesson planning) and I saw some other threads were quite active. It's happened to be before so I'm not offended, just realizing that I don't get quite the same support here as I do from other places. ;)

I'm going to have a sub in the room for the 1st 3 days to kind of get the kids together in class while I'm setting up and then I was thinking of basically treating those last 2 days of the week when I'm on my own as the "First Days of School" and then we go right into Fall Break (which is just a 4-day weekend) and I'd start introducing some subjects and more mixer/get to know you type things for the week we get back (since it's just a 3 day week)... then the first full week we'll start our regular routine.

8. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Sep 15, 2007

Be prepared to need to review your procedures every day for a good 10 days or so. I think the first 2 days plan is a good idea, just be prepared to spend more time next week too. Anything specific you want help or advice for? Certain subjects or anything like that?

9. Teach4kids

Teach4kids Guest

Sep 15, 2007

Congratulations that's pretty exciting!!!:D It's my first year teaching second grade and I love it. I understand what you mean about not getting posts. But just give it time. I've been reviewing rules and procedures for about the first ten minutes everyday since we have been in school(3 weeks.) I think I'll do it just a little more. if you have any questions or any ideas to share i would love to hear about it!

Good LUCK!!!! :love:

10. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 15, 2007

I figured I'd be doing a lot of review, especially since these kids will be coming from other classrooms with other procedures that I will not be doing (or may be doing)...

As far as subject advice, not yet I suppose since I haven't even had a chance to look at the teacher's manuals etc, I can't get any of that until I get my offical letter from the district.

What kind of morning/bell work do you do with the kids?

11. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 15, 2007

By the time I get there we'll have been in school 9 weeks so they'll be familiar with routines, just not mine! :lol:

How do you have your desks set up? How many kids do you have in your class?

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2007

Congrats on the job!! I was going to suggest going over the routines/procedures also and then continuing to review them in the mornings before getting into work. For morning work I did a daily oral language where they had to correct sentences and a daily math that was review from 1st grade. Later in the year I did JumpStarts from a book and Drop in the Bucket math.

13. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Sep 15, 2007

I always post morning work on the board. It usually looks like this:
    1. Unpack, hand in HW, notes.
    2. Journal
    3. Choose Daily 5 activities
    4. Read, write or challenge center

I post a daily journal topic on the board and give them monthly journals to write in. They only share them if they want to. 2nd graders need to learn to love writing, so that's one of the ways I try to get them to enjoy it.
    I do Daily 5, so they pick those activities for that day, and then when they are done, they can read, write or choose an activity from the challenge center. My biggest struggle my first year was keeping the fast ones busy. So I made a challenge center. It's just bunch of files on a table, and each file has a different worksheet in it. Addition color by sums, word searches, and lots of seasonal worksheets that review what we're working on. They love to finish them, and they turn them in for a sticker. Oh yeah, did I mention stickers??? Buy stock in them cause they love them!

14. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2007

Wow what a great opportunity. I taught second grade last year and really found that I loved the age group. They are old enough to be independent on a lot of things but are still young.
    In regards to starting the year, if I were you, I would start as if it were the beginning of the year. Set up your OWn routines and procedures. Practice, model, practice, model etc. and make it your own.
    There is a great website for second grade teachers called The Second Grade Teachers' Club. Google it and it will come up. YOu join for free and get priceless help and info and ideas.
    I'm sorry that people haven't replied, but don't give up on this forum... people get busy but will reply.

15. Teach4kids

Teach4kids Guest

Sep 16, 2007

I have 22 kiddos in my class.I have 4 tables of 4 and one table of 6. I think I'm going to change the seats around now that I know some of their behavior issues. I have definitely figured out who my talkers are. :p I also have 2 students come up for math in my class from first grade. It's pretty crazy. 24 kids, it gets a little out of control, my room is tiny. How many do you have?

16. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 16, 2007

Thanks I'll check it out!

17. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 16, 2007

:lol: 24 kids and it's out of control? I'll have 27! :eek: I have 31 4th graders now so I figure I'm in good shape! :)

18. awp0718

awp0718 Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

I student taught in 4th grade and loved it. Now I'm a 2nd grade teacher and love it even more! I love teaching reading and the kids are so sweet. You definitely deal with a lot more baby stuff but they are so darn cute! Take the job. You'll love it.

19. Teach4kids

Teach4kids Guest

Sep 18, 2007

When I say tiny I mean tiny. I have a partitioned pod, and the rooms are the smallest classrooms I have seen. they are cramped and sometimes in centers it feels like we are all on top of each other. Their behavior is fine but I feel like we are sardines!!!:lol:

20. MissMulcahy

MissMulcahy Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

Beware! Though 2nd grade is fun, the students are more dependent on you thsn 4th graders. You will have to be on your toes a lot. Good luck!

21. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 18, 2007

After listening to 4th graders talk back to me all day I think I'd rather them be more dependant on me and no back talk! :lol: