New York to Texas - time to move?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ponypal, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Dec 12, 2013

Hi! I have taught in New York for 16 years. I have a Master's degree in education, certified N-6 and am tenured. My husband and I have been talking about visiting Texas, possibly the Houston/Gulf Coast area. He's been to texas before (loved it) and this would be my first time there.

The reason for the trip is to see if this would be an area/state that we'd like to move to. We are worn down with New York state politics, loads of snow, and other baloney that's going on here. I know that there's politics everywhere, but it seems that there's different regulations/laws that fit our lifestyle better, from what my husband seems to believe.

I was curious to know if there's anyone from New York who has moved to Texas and what your feelings are regarding moving there, teaching there and any other pertinent info. Also, would anyone know what the requirements are to become permanently certified.

Many years ago a friend from college moved there for a couple years. She was able to obtain a teaching job right away. She's moved away since as her husband's job required them to relocate and I have not been able to find her since to ask her about the above information. I do remember that she said she loved Texas. I am not a city person and have always loved the south, the heat, and farm/ranch life; so I'm thinking that this would be a place I'd enjoy.

Any feedback would be greatly apprecited! Thank you!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 12, 2013

I've lived in Houston my whole life, and I love it! The job and housing markets are good. The culture is wonderful, and the food is delicious! Football kinda sucks right now... Lol.

On a super practical level, just know that Houston is a driving city. You will drive everywhere. There's no good public transportation. We are the fourth largest city in the country, so there's no "ranch or farm" life around here... Lol

Go to the Texas SBEC website (http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=5830&menu_id2=794) for information about certifications and reciprocity. Texas teachers don't take the Praxis to be certified, but I do believe it will transfer from other states in some certification areas.

What kind of stuff do you want to know?

4. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Dec 12, 2013

Just stay clear of the Rio Grande Valley..................it's a garbage dump.

I taught down there for a year with "Teach For America." I had a great experience whenever I had time off, enjoyed other areas of the state and the people I encountered were really terrific.

:thumb:

But the Rio Grande Valley [shudder], oooooooooo.....terrible!

:down:

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2013

As far as certification goes, I think you just have to pay SBEC a fee for them to evaluate your certifications from New York and then they will issue you a certification if it meets the criteria.

6. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Dec 13, 2013

Thank you for the information. Driving- I don't mind. I will stay away from the area mentioned. Football- The Buffalo Bills most likely have a worse record than the Oilers- so, quite used to that. :)

I will look into the certification requirements some more.

What is life life near South Padre Island?

Thank you everone!

7. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Dec 13, 2013

The Oilers left in 1996. ;) The Houston Texans just fired their coach. Last football note: I know the defensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills....he could be looking for a new assignment after this year.

South Padre Island is a great place to vacation. I couldn't tell you what it would be like to live there. But Brownsville, Texas - right near there - tough town.

8. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Dec 14, 2013

As a native Houstonian, I love my city! The cost of living is very reasonable compared to salaries. Houston and its surround areas have some of the highest teachers salaries. I can live comfortably on what I make and I am single. I live south of the city between Houston and Galveston, near the space center.

Houston has some of the greatest museums and our theaters are only rivaled by those of NYC. As long as you don't mind the heat in the summers our weather is great. The great thing though is that everywhere in this sitting is air conditioned. The mild winters make up for the heat in the Summer.

9. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Dec 14, 2013

Bring on the heat! School has been closed for he last three days for both me and my kids. We are in two different districts. We have at least 2 feet of snow right now. Thnk goodness we own several tractors. This is an area that's used to lots of snow, but this is just too much! I was in waist deep drifted snow yesterday to try to make it around to the back of the house to clean off the satellite dish because we couldn't get a signal. I was too exhausted to make it. It's still not cleared.

I looked on a Texas real estate website today and saw some beautiful homes for reasonable prices. New York is way too expensive nowadays.

We live on over 100 acres now and own horses, so we'd like a place that has some land. As crazy as this sounds, we have considered taking both of our mothers with us as they no longer have husbands. That means we'll need a bigger house.

I'll keep loking into the areas that ya' all mentioned, and I'll stay clear of those that were also spoken of.

Whoops on the football error:blush:

Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  10. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Dec 14, 2013

I recommend using HAR.com to search for homes in the Houston market. You may also research what area of town you want to teach in and look for homes within a 30 mile radius or so. Anything further than that and you might start hating yourself for the drive. I work about 17 miles from my school and it takes me about 35 minutes in the mornings and 45 on the way back home.

11. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Dec 14, 2013

Advice well noted. I've been looking and you're completly right about too much of a drive. What are the best areas for a larger piece of land for horses, a decent sized home, and being close enough to shopping and cultural events? Or am I asking for the impossible? This would finally be the home of my dreams, so I'm setting the bar a bit higher than what I have now. (We live on land that's been in the family for about 100 years, and this house just isn't where my heart is.) We'll sell the house and a few acres, but save the rest here for us to visit as we've built a cabin in the woods.

I was wondering if attending the teacher job fair on June 10, 2014 is a good idea or not worth the time. I'd have to take off a day or so from school here to fly there.

I'm really looking forward to a visit and eating some delicious BBQ.

12. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Dec 14, 2013

Your wishes aren't really all that hard to come by. If you look to the suburbs there is still a lot of open land.

North: Conroe

South: Santa Fe or Dickinson

East: Mount Belvue

West: Katy or Sealy

All of these places put you within an hours drive of downtown Houston and within minutes of grocery stores and shopping malls.

Before you head to a job fair I would make sure you go the SBEC to see what you would need to transfer your certificate. If you can teach in Texas schools might be more inclined to talk to you.

BBQ is the best here!

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Dec 14, 2013

If you want larger acreage, you may have to look one to two hours outside larger cities. I live about two hours from Houston, Austin, San Antonio and about three from Corpus. I thought I would hate living in a small town but having land with the accompanying peace and quiet is definitely worth it.

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2013

I don't live in Texas, but I would like you to remember that southern Texas does have hurricanes. It is not a yearly factor, but it does come around. Hurricane season is from June 1st from November 30th.

15. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Dec 14, 2013

Thank you again. I am looking at the places mentioned, and into certification. I think I'll make a phone call and find out from the state ed department. I'm hoping that will be a direct route for some answers.

Hurricanes... reminds me of a blizzard that we'd get here. :( I remarried in Florida during Hurricane Katrina. Something more for me to consider. How far do hurricanes travel inland?

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Dec 14, 2013

It depends on the strength of the hurricane. I live about an hour and a half inland. A three caused wind damage and minor flooding a few years back. My parents live in central Texas. Their area is far enough inland that they certainly do not have to worry about the storm surge or the wind damage, but they had a tornado spawned by a hurricane touch down within twenty miles of their home during minor hurricanes.

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 15, 2013

Katy and Conroe are far enough inland to avoid most of the damage, but may have tree damage/power outages depending on the strength of the storm. I've only evacuated twice in 30 years. We didn't have damage either time but I was glad to not be stuck without power and it was several days of street flooding and trees blocking roads.

18. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Jan 14, 2014

I've checked into some certification requirements for Texas and the first thing that candidates have to do is fill out an online application, after send in transcripts and copies of other pertinent info. There's a $100 non-refundable fee for the TEA just to look into your information. Following that, they will tell you what exam you'll need to take. GROAN!!!

Just wondering... what is the education job market in southeast/eastern Texas?

19. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jan 17, 2014

I assume that you're upstate? As someone who lived through Hurricane Sandy on Long Island, a hurricane is NOT the same thing as an upstate NY blizzard. A bad hurricane will cause FAR more damage. A blizzard is a huge inconvenience, a terrible hurricane is fare more than just an inconvenience.

20. Massieduck

Massieduck Rookie

Jan 17, 2014

I am a Texas girl myself. I have some family that lives in Cypress and they seem to love it around there, but I never did enjoy the traffic. I would head a little more north or west if you don't want hurricanes and you want some land. I also caution you to think about tornado weather as well. If you went up to the north a little out side of Houston you could also have that happen.

21. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Jan 17, 2014

Upstate yes- I'm guilty -Buffalo, NY.

Thank you again everyone for more useful information regarding Texas. I almost feel like I am sticking tacks in a map with my eyes closed, but each time someone suggests an idea, I get closer to narrowing down some locations.

Advice noted to avoid the areas of hurricanes and tornadoes and where land can be found.

We are planning a trip to check out some of the locations that seem to fall into the categories that would be best for us.

Thank you again!