New York City

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teachling, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 25, 2012

Besides the main attractions of the city i.e. Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Statue of Liberty etc. What are some less know places to visit/experience? Im particularly interested in some shopping for things native to NY and memorabilia. The downtown area use to have some great shops but I don't know if that is still true.

As a bonus if there are any economical lodging that can be found, I would be interested. I know I'm living in fantasy land. :D

3. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 26, 2012

We went to the Doughnut Plant. Yummy!
    And we ate at a great pizza place called Don Giovanni's. My hubby sings opera so I found this place with an operatic name. It was great!
    Both food places, I know, but we mostly did main attractions. We did try to eat at local places though.

4. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 26, 2012

You HAVE to go to John's Pizzeria in the theater district. It's on W 44th street, I think. You can take the S line to 42nd and then walk from there.

There's also a small (but very nice & clean) NY memorabilia shop a few doors down.

5. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 28, 2012

Awesome! Thank you both for the tips! I also remember a great pizzeria in the lower east side I would love to go back too. I think it was between Prince St & Elizabeth (?) I wonder if its still there….